Search results

1. R

Questions about best tank setup for a bull shark

If he's upgrading from a 525gal tank to another tank that still isn't big enough, then that isn't good enough.... Just do it right the first time! Oh, and Zoodiver is in transit with a bullshark as we speak...I am also speaking for him.
  2. R

Questions about best tank setup for a bull shark

You say you've had a bullshark in 525gal? As stated by everyone before me, how big is this shark? I haven't worked with bullsharks yet but my previous shark experiences include sharks that do not get as big as bulls and still require 10,000gal or more to allow for proper swimming and growth...
  3. R

Anyone work/volunteer in a zoo/aquarium?

Hahaha! Me too! More like everyday though.... I work at Miami Seaquarium.
  4. R

Nurse shark pup: A rescue animal

It was scoped a few days ago. Blood was seen in the stomach. The hook is most likely through the stomach wall making it very risky to get out with an endoscope without tearing it. As Zoodiver said, surgery would be the best way to go.
  5. R

Sorry, haven't been on MFK in a while. I think I should also get credit for the identification of the shark leech.
  6. R

I still think we should do surgery to get that hook out. I honestly don't think he's going to start eating on his own until it gets removed, and I would love to see that little guy end up on display! Thanks for the van pic too
  7. R

Pink Bristle Worm?

I agree, most likely tube worms. They are harmless. Algae is more of personal preference. Most reefers like algae on the sides and back of the tank - looks more natural. If you do not like the tube worms or algae they can be easily removed with an algae scraper and a bit of elbow grease.
  8. R

ICH (Cryptocaryon)

Good info for all to know! Thanks!
  9. R

Red Slime Algae (cyanobacteria)

I had that same problem with a large reef system a few months ago. My issue was definitely phosphate. I first used bagged-up phosphate sponge in the sump (Kent Marine) for a couple of days, then switched to a phosphate removing filter pad after removing the phos sponge. It worked well. I...
  10. R

Blue tang possible ich

It could be crypt....if you choose to do a FW dip 7 mins may be too long. Just watch him during the dip and monitor his breathing and activity.
  11. R

any ideas on what this is

I would say it is a sponge - definitely a sign of a good, healthy tank. If you don't want them though you can surely remove them by pulling or scrapping them off.
  12. R

Blue tang possible ich

I agree....The spots were most likely burn spots from torch coral or what not. Could have also been scale rot and the scales just needed to fall off. Just keep a good eye on him for the next few days or so. If the spots do come back and you would like to remove him from the tank I suggest...
  13. R

Bull Sharks.

Don't forget that more people also die from coconuts falling on their heads than from shark attacks!
  14. R

Possibly the best teaser thread on MFK

Can't wait 'til I get to be there! Looks like a sweet exhibit!
  15. R

Blue Ring Octo

Hey all! I am currently taking a marine invert zoology class and am writing a research paper on the Blue Ring octopus. Do you know of any really good sources for info? Any cool information you think I should include?
  16. R

PISTOL SHRIMP VS MANTIS SHRIMP

I vote Mantis shrimp.....their clubs and the teeth of the raptoral claws are just wicked! Pistol shrimp definitely pack a punch though, but I think Mantis are just more crafty.
  17. R

Whats your favorite fish

I love pipefish, but more specifically banded pipefish. I don't have one in my own setup yet, but that will come with my tank upgrade.
  18. R

Why is everything covered in small bubbles...?

Agreed....the air bubbles should work their way out in a couple of days from the flow of water. Your tank will need a while to cycle anyways.
  19. R

School Project: designing an shark tank (help?)

I wasn't aware that WL 322 had a design component to it. I am a captive wildlife minor as well but will be taking that class next spring. Sorry to disappoint, but you are definitely not the only shark nerd in central WI.
  20. R

Albino Moose

In the first picture I thought it may be a joke....made of snow or something. But this is incredible! Maybe he should migrate more north so he can blend in with the snow all year round!
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store