Search results

1. S

4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Good luck man. But am I the only one who thinks that trying to seal a liner to your window is going to be way more difficult that what you already tried? I know you're frustrated, but you're also 99.999% done with the thing. You have a pinhole leak to find. That's it. The liner to the...
  2. S

Help! 4000 gallon tank leak.

It sounds like you should be able to follow the same instructions for resealing any other glass tank, which unfortunetly probably means stripping it all back down, cleaning with denatured alchohol and trying again. But the size of the thing might be causing pane separation, which you should be...
  3. S

Leaking Bulk Head???

He has a good point... the gasket will be inside the tank, not on the outside. (presuming you're installing it from the inside.)
  4. S

4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

To pin point the leak from the outside, you can toy with the idea of drilling narrow downward-sloped holes in likely spots that will allow the water to drain out to better tell where the leak is. If you try this, use a stop on your bit to set the depth from penetrating the tank. This should have...
  5. S

Leaking Bulk Head???

Wrapping the threads won't help a bit. They have nothing to do with sealing other than they apply the pressure to the gasket. I would suggest trying a different gasket material. I have made my own from old rubber inner tubes. I think buying a sheet of cork or rubber gasket material from an...
  6. S

1500+ gallon saltwater build....maybe. Need some opinions.

Sorry man, didn't mean to throw some name-calling in there. Uncalled for for sure. I must have had a bad day myself.
  7. S

Liquid rubber or epoxy?

I have tried both.. and "liquid rubber" has succeeded where epoxied failed. But I don't believe that all liquid rubber products are the same as not all epoxies are the same. But I can tout Sanitred as superior over PondArmor in cost, ease of use and chance of success.
  8. S

Great Stuff as a submerged adhesive?

It does hold up. I used to it to secure full styrofoam sheeting to the wall and then a fake rock wall to that. I was worried about the boyancy of 4inches of foam ripping it off the wall, but it has held up for almost 2 years so far. This was for 5-6ft of water.
  9. S

LOL.. I love how folks with no experience so easily dismiss certain issues. I have been flamed into the ground on other threads regarding inferior builds when I have suggested concern about it. People will start talking out their azz about how its such a bullet proof build, ect and then it...
  10. S

I can't vouch for the BlueMax. I think you'll be pushing boundaries big time trying to go 6 feet deep and using plywood. I had difficulty doing it while using cedar 6x6's. I'm sure its possible though. There will just be a whole lot less room for error. And considering that, I'm not sure going...
  11. S

Large stock and in a bind..what do you do?

You're not one to talk of arrogance after regurgitating this reply bud. Its arrogant to not expect someone to show up with a 500+ gallon ready to go to take this fish? Yeah, real arrogant of me. I'm aware of all the factors as well, on all scenarios, so thanks for your lecture. Its...
  12. S

Interesting. My friend has a couple catfish over 2ft long, that’s what this about. One is a channel cat that I’m sure would be fine if released. Every pet store he asked would be happy to take them, even though none of them had a tank large enough to be considered “accommodating” for...
  13. S

Scenario: You have a giant tank with giant fish, (pick one, say, catfish) and something goes wrong with the tank and you don’t have adequate back up accommodations for them.. what do you do?
  14. S

Aquarium through the floor?

Its not falling through the floor that you have to worry about... its the slow warping of your floors. People wonder about why their tanks spontaneously leaks or cracks.... well there you go. All this talk about leveling tanks and then people here minimize the threat of warping floors...brilliant.
  15. S

Concrete Aquarium Questions

It becomes more complicated when dealing with a massive tank. I had a sump first and it was a pain. Sizing the sump with pump flow and tank volume can be a problem. Basically, if you have a giant tank, you'll need a giant sump. Or else when you turn your pumps off it will overflow. For...
  16. S

Most don't include pumps, so you would need a pump per filter and also a drain. So they have an input, output and a drain output for for when you flush clean them.
  17. S

Myself and others have had great luck with a canister pond filters. The media lasts forever and its just a flip of a lever to clean them. And you'll only have to do this once or twice a year, depending on bio load.
  18. S

Other suggestions I have are just preferences and regrets with my own setup. If I was to do mine over again, I would have all the plumbing and filter outside my basement wall in something like a utility cubby with a cover. Hiding all the pumps and feeds, especially behind concrete walls like...
  19. S

IMO, the most important thing you can do is consult your home builders and get their advice. Basically, there is a couple phenomena associated with creating something super heavy that could affect the rest of your home. The obvious thing is settling with such extreme weight presuming you'll...
  20. S

DIY beach

Looks okay to me. But if you're looking for something different... I made a cool floating setup out of a block of styrofoam once. It was a shallow bowl on top with a lip to help contain the sand. The neat thing about it was water level was irrelevant and it frees up lots of under water room...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store