Search results

1. R

Identify your North American Native Fish

Winner winner chicken dinner. We have a brackish tank set up in my daughters room, she caught all of the stock for it (sheepshead minnows and sailfin mollies) herself.
  2. R

What can I do to get my temp to drop?

As flukekiller said, a fan blowing across the top will cause evaporative cooling, but also evaporation so you'll have to replenish more often. Or you can drop about $500 for a chiller...
  3. R

In a very broad sense yes it's in the pupfish family, but can you tell me which? Hint, it's native to and abundant where I live.
  4. R

Beginner in planted aquarium

Re reading your post it's a lot better than I thought. I wasn't wearing my cheaters when I first read it and when I saw you list the Marineland 55 gal canister, I thought I read that it was a 55 gallon tank. Really glad it's not, and I apologize for assuming the worst
  5. R

Lepomis megalotis vs gibbosus temperament differences

I've kept longear, they are beautiful fish but they can be a bit testy, both among themselves and with other fish. I found that using driftwood and plants to create separate zones so that each fish had it's own space helped a lot
  6. R

Beginner in planted aquarium

With that stocking, instead of buying plants buy a bigger tank....much bigger.
  7. R

Would it be a Bigeye Chub - Notropis Amblops
  8. R

POST PICS OF YOUR PLANTS AND PLANTED TANKS HERE

Mr Aqua 11.3 (that's actually about 10 gallons). 2x23 watt spiral cfl 6500k (horizontal mount) Eco complete substrate Aqua clear 30 Pressurized CO2 Dosing EI 2x scarlet badis 3x Otos 3x Amano shrimp 1x rcs 5x cpd a small squadron of assassin snails to eat the pond snails that came in on...
  9. R

Question about wild caught daphnia etc..

At a local pond I used a pantyhose net to collect daphnia, cyclops, mosquito larvae and other small critters to feed my scarlet badis. I strained it through different sized mesh and now have some in clean de chlorinated tap water, however I see a whole lot of small round green forms in there...
  10. R

Bucephalandra

Sorry for the blurry, low quality pictures. I had to shoot them with my phone through glass and water. Top is the Blue Green being photo bombed by my Scarlet Badis. Bottom is the Hades. They are both very small right now, but putting on new leaves. I didn't notice when I first got it, but...
  11. R

Bucephalandra

I've got a Bucephalandra "Hades" and a "Blue Green" that I bought from a hobbyist. They are both fairly small right now, but I really like the plants, a bit pricey but I will probably add more. I may try to get one of the larger varieties next.
  12. R

210 Native

Awesome tank, I love longears.
  13. R

Blue Crab in 100% freshwater

Not necessarily. I used to run crab traps with my dad way up the Atchafalaya river where the water was fresh. The bottom was sandy so we caught large crabs that were very clean and exceptionally sweet.
  14. R

Gar bow hunting

I don't really have a problem with any form of legal harvest, provided you stay within established legal and ethical limits. If you live in a state that allows the legal take of a specific fish, i.e. Gar fish, what difference does it make if the fish was shot with a bow, or brought in by hook...
  15. R

Went crabbing, stocked a tank.

Not sure. I'm not familiar enough with gobies to know what it was on site and by the time I got home ti had been dead a while an all of the color washed out so I couldn't id.
  16. R

I caught a cool goby while there, unfortunately it didn't survive the trip home.
  17. R

Metaframe Planted Nano Project

I was in the attic at my mom's house and I ran across an old Metaframe stainless steel framed, slate bottomed aquarium that had been my dad's. It has to be at least 50 years old. It's just under 5 gallons, outside dimintions are 14x8x10. The glass is all in tact, there was a lot of gunked up...
  18. R

Rockefeller refuge. Cameron Parish
  19. R

I keep it at about 1.008 or 10 ppt. The water we caught the mollies and sheepshead minnows out of was a little higher than that, about 1.011 or 14ppt
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store