Search results

1. Moontanman

Is anything safe with E. Americanus Americanus?

It depends on how well you keep your redfin feed. If he is hungry is likely to launch attacks against almost anything that moves. But if you keep him well fed, and gambusia would be his food of choice, he will probably leave anything he couldn't swallow alone. Personally I love those redfins, I...
  2. Moontanman

Searching for Esox Americana (Red Fin Pickerel)

No problem, it will be a while, I check in here with some regularity. I understand the desire to have a specific species of fish. I've wanted a few shovelnose sturgeon fingerlings most of my life but it would seem that dream will go on being a dream. I am too old now to really expect it to happen.
  3. Moontanman

Searching for Esox Americana (Red Fin Pickerel)

I might be able to help you out, we have them here and they are gorgeous I even catch a melanistic one occasionally. Get back to me in a three months or so. I have a health problem right now that is keeping me indoors.
  4. Moontanman

Paddlefish anyone?

No the gar were about 3" long, the tank contained a large mixed population of gambusia from newborns to adults, gambusia are very aggressive. If gambusia got to 12" or so they would make some bodies of water dangerous to swim in :devil: In the wild gambusia consume a large number of other small...
  5. Moontanman

Sturgeon at Fish Story

I would love to get some specimens of Scaphirhynchus platorynchus, they are bred in captivity, still fished for in the wild, stay relatively small in aquariums (24 to 30 inches) and do well in warm water. They also do well in koi ponds or farm ponds! Then we have really dwarf sturgeons...
  6. Moontanman

Sturgeon at Fish Story

If you are set up to keep such a large fish then please continue but we both know that the vast majority of hobbyists are not so equipped.
  7. Moontanman

Paddlefish anyone?

If you try to feel them small fish i would avoid gambusia, feeder guppies are a better choice, gambusia tend to be significantly larger and more aggressive. I've had gambusia kill small gar they were fed to.
  8. Moontanman

Sturgeon at Fish Story

What we need is to stop trying to keep fish that grow to ginormous sizes, there are sturgeons that only grow to a meter or less and do quite well in water in the mid 70's.
  9. Moontanman

Why haven't Coldwater species have been popularized yet?

I keep NA natives year round with no cool down, they do fine. A slight cool down helps if you are trying to breed them but just to keep them requires no cool down. Unless you are trying to keep natives with something like discuss moderate temps in the mid 70's is fine for nearly all fish...
  10. Moontanman

Baby sturgeon ID

After 30 years no joy yet.
  11. Moontanman

Baby sturgeon ID

I've wanted a shovelnose for many many years but no joy.
  12. Moontanman

Baby sturgeon ID

You should be very close to the habitat of the shovelnose sturgeon, they average less than 24" in the wild but isolated specimens can reach 30+ inches.
  13. Moontanman

Paddlefish anyone?

Actually they feed best after dark, in the dark they are "deadly" lol. I always fed mine at night, they would skim pellets off the surface much better at night. I always thought the surface feeding if for insects at night. A school of tiny fish will be rounded up at night as well.
  14. Moontanman

Paddlefish anyone?

Mine were around 3" when i got them and I cultured daphnia for them but they still managed to swallow tiny fishes. I would put around 100 in a kiddie swimming pool and they would manage to eat them over night.
  15. Moontanman

Paddlefish anyone?

I feed mine mostly feeder guppies after they got that big but if it works don't fix it!
  16. Moontanman

Paddlefish anyone?

Mine came with a small supply of floating pellets but they went for hikari floating cichlid pellets. How big are your fish at this time? Have you tried small feeder guppies?
  17. Moontanman

Paddlefish anyone?

Where did you get them? Try floating pellets, they will turn over on their backs and scoop pellets from the surface. The will also feed on daphnia and schools of tiny fish.
  18. Moontanman

Baby sturgeon ID

Yes they are very rare but specimens have been seen in recent years. As for being in an aquarium, captive breeding maybe they only hope they have, their natural environment is all but gone. Captive breeding can save near extinct animals and selling some of the captive bred animals into the...
  19. Moontanman

Baby sturgeon ID

Don't you wish you could get this species? Maxes out at about 30 centimeters. I would love to be able to breed them. https://www.fishbase.se/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?ID=8764&AT=Dwarf+sturgeon
  20. Moontanman

Baby sturgeon ID

Probably a Sterlet, Sterlets are the main imported sturgeon and I think they are bred in Russia. Sterlets grow to about a meter in length, not hard to keep but need a big tank.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store