Search results

1. E

Snakes - Thailand

Cobras are actually one of the more reluctant biters among venomous snakes in the world. If you step of one, sure, they may snap and bite quickly, but their hooded display is meant to ward off predators before they have to expend the energy to replace venom used for defensive purposes. In any...
  2. E

Mites on my snake, help!

Provent-a-mite is an awesome treatment when used properly. Not only does it destroy the adult mites present but also protects from reinfestation for about 30 days after the initial treatment. You basically remove the animal & water bowl, spray down the cage, allow it to completely dry, and...
  3. E

Could my Ball Python be Blind?

Technically they don't "smell" but more like "taste" the air with their tounge. Tounge flicks out in the air, goes back into the mouth, and "taste/smell" buds tell their brain what is in the air. If they smell/taste something in the air that seems like prey, and feel the heat from the subject...
  4. E

Could my Ball Python be Blind?

Is it eating for you yet? I once rescued a ball python that had multiple retained eyecaps, to the point that there's no way that she had any significant vision other than knowing whether she was in a bright room or a dark room. I fed her in the dark and she ate just fine. For feeding, they...
  5. E

Ball pythons for $29.99

LLL sucks...you should see their setups at shows. Hundreds of baby colubrids, imported baby savs, etc, kept in tiny deli cups with feces and dirty aspen shavings....the animals are probably in these for weeks at a time as they go around the country to shows. Very sad. Support your fellow...
  6. E

Ball head python advice?

Just a tip for you, that always works for me when I have a new addition to my collection that is slow to start eating for me... I take sheets of newsprint, cumple them into balls (like you'd do before you throw into the trash can), and fill the floor of the cage until no portion of the floor...
  7. E

Ball head python advice?

I'll second the posts above about giving your snake a period of time to acclimate any time you change its cage or cage furnishings. I give a WEEK at MINIMUM with NO HANDLING whatsoever. After a week of settling in, I'll offer food. If they refuse, they get another week. New keepers often...
  8. E

Ball pythons for $29.99

Petco and Petsmart ball pythons come from "Captive-Hatched" shipments. Basically, over in Ghana, Africa every year gravid females are collected from the wild and kept on "farms" until they lay their eggs. The eggs are removed and incubated in communal pits until they hatch. The females are then...
  9. E

Red Tail Boa problem....

A 28" boa eating mice is probably very hungry. I'd have him on at least 2 mice at once or a small rat by now... Feed your snake in its enclosure. When grown, you don't want to be wrestling a hungry, 7ft snake out of its enclosure to be fed.
  10. E

Ball head python advice?

Seriously...you don't need the height expansion on the cage. All that will do is make the tank more difficult to heat evenly. Your snake will spend 99.99999% of its life on the ground, and thats where you need to have the right temperatures. A lot of people go overboard with cage setups for...
  11. E

Ball head python advice?

Throw the hot rock away. They are dangerous to any animal unfortunate enough to have one in its enclosure. Belly heat is the best for pythons. If you insist on keeping the snake in a glass tank, a heat pad (w/thermostat or rheostate) in conjunction with a low wattage heat lamp is the best way to...
  12. E

Live Rodents

Live feeding is safe so long as: 1. The rodent is an appropriate size - make sure the feeder isn't too large 2. The snake is conditioned to accept live food - suddenly dropping a live rodent in with a snake that is used to eating f/t or p/k usually throws them off. Most people don't make...
  13. E

Ball head python advice?

A ball python should never eat pinky mice, or fuzzy mice. A baby ball python is totally capable of eating at least a hopper sized mouse, and in some cases, small adult mice as their first meals straight out of the egg. Temperature is the next issue. 75-80 is unacceptable and needs to be...
  14. E

How many members on here breed ball pythons?

Weylin, 8ballpythons.com ships internationally, and does BHB Enterprises, The Snake Keeper, and various others. You will have to go with one of the "big" breeders in the US if you need an international shipment.
  15. E

The tubs fit flush with the floor and ceiling of the rack itself, so there's no room for the snakes to escape. Short of me not closing the tub all the way, there's no way that they can squeeze out. There are ventilation holes on the sides of the tub to allow fresh air exchange, but not enough...
  16. E

They are easy if you set them up right. In my experience, bps do better in enclosed rack systems than traditional cages. Realistically, they are adapted to spending 99% of their time in burrows in the ground - so a dark, confined space is pretty much like home to them. I keep balls in...
  17. E

Market is good for pieds - although I would not expect to get over $1000 for them if you hatch some out in 3 years. People have been buying up hets and raising them up for some time now. You will see a LOT more for sale this year and next year than in years past. I'm not convinced the market...
  18. E

Hatched out a few in recent years: A few from my collection: Fresh clutch of pastels: Mom on eggs: A few more:
  19. E

Favourite mixed martial artist's ?

MMA used to encompass matches where one style of fighting went against another. You had boxers going up against karate guys, kickboxers against wrestlers, and so on. They stuck to their respective discipline and banged it out according to what they were good at. This is why Gracie Jiu Jitsu...
  20. E

Ball hasn't eaten in 6 months, just threw up.

Everyone is spot on so far. The supposed "vomit" from a snake that hadn't eaten in 6 months was likely to be mucous from a respiratory issue. Immediately, you need to increase the temperatures into the proper range. If I were you, I would switch over to a plastic tub style setup. This will...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store