Search results

1. D

Failed reseal question

Got this one for $30, so I'm not too broken up about it. Was just a fish room tank, nothing for display. I mostly feel bad sending any tank to the dump. Could use it as a mini-greenhouse outdoors, I guess, but a bit heavy to bother.
  2. D

Failed reseal question

Thanks. Used RTV 100 series silicone. I think your guess is correct and that it is the silicone between the glass. Not looking forward to taking it completely apart.
  3. D

Failed reseal question

I have a 55 gallon that I bought used. Held water for three months and started leaking. I removed the silicone (looked like it had already been resealed before) and applied a new seal. Tested it and it started leaking again in the same spot. I then noticed it looked like the glass had bulged out...
  4. D

Looking for some ideas

I have some pieces left from a 175 gallon bow front aquarium. One of the pieces was the front half of the tank (with the bow). Instead of getting rid of it, I thought I might explore some ideas for using it with a pond set up. I thought I'd see if anyone on here has any creative...
  5. D

Gymnogeophagus ID

Thank you for the feedback.
  6. D

Gymnogeophagus ID

Need help trying to ID this Gymnogeophagus. I bought three from my LFS a while back as Blue Neon (Rhabdotus). Now that they're a little bigger, I'm pretty sure they're not Rhabdotus. They don't look at all like the other two Rhabdotus species I have. Looks like they're going to be beautiful...
  7. D

Restocking after disease outbreak

It's not columnaris. A couple of fish appeared to have ich toward the end, small white spots. Treated for that and it went away, but they still ended up dying in quarantine. I've never lost fish like that before though from an ich outbreak. Other geos from that tank did survive and are now in...
  8. D

No. 2. The other fish in the tank are still doing well, but the barbs did show some flashing in the beginning.
  9. D

I had a disease outbreak in my 125 last week that ended up killing several geos after they were placed in quarantine. Still not 100 percent sure what it was. Fish had clamped fins, some flashing. For those that died it was relatively quick. Most likely culprit was disease introduced by three new...
  10. D

Cooling period for Gymnogeophagus

Thanks for the suggestions. There is no heater in the tank now, so it already falls, but I'd like to make sure it's getting down to around 50-60.
  11. D

Cooling period for Gymnogeophagus

In the interest of trying to make sure my Gymnogeophagus are healthy and continue breeding, I've been looking into options to give them a cooling period. My tanks are in my basement and there is really no where I can put them where the water temperature will naturally drop. All of the chillers...
  12. D

Primary seal question

Thanks for the info. I hadn't checked in on this thread in a while. Didn't have much luck with two local glass shops, so I've decided to move on for now. I have sealed the edges in packing tape to prevent further damage and have placed them in storage. Hoping to get back to rebuilding it at some...
  13. D

Primary seal question

Certainly didn't steal it, but a great deal before encountering all of the issues that have come up. That it's a large bowfront and an aquarium that is out of production makes me want to give a little more effort to making it work.
  14. D

Primary seal question

That's good to know, I feared it would cost more than it would be worth.
  15. D

Primary seal question

Also, would it improve the odds of it holding if I turned the glass upside down and used this damaged corner on top instead of the bottom?
  16. D

Primary seal question

Yeah, not sure I'll be able to find another 175 bowfront glass panel. I guess I could try to use the back panel and sides for a new tank but I'd have to find replacements for the bottom and front, or maybe use them in a plywood build of some kind. If anyone has any creative ideas, I'd appreciate...
  17. D

Primary seal question

Started cleaning the glass today and found this. A bottom corner of the front piece of glass has broken off. It was in three pieces and still hanging from the corner, so I pulled it free. The silicone was the only thing holding it there. I'd say it's about four inches worth. Not sure if I should...
  18. D

Primary seal question

No, haven't cleaned the glass yet. I'm taking a little break to work on a couple of other aquarium projects. I'm hopeful I can put the frame back together with silicone. It just looks a bit rough now. Still considering euro bracing but seems like I'd need to get customized work done.
  19. D

Primary seal question

Finished taking the tank apart. Feels like quite the accomplishment in itself. That was a pain, but now that I've done it feels good and gives me the confidence to know I can do it again with other tanks if I need to.
  20. D

Primary seal question

Will do. Thanks for the suggestion. Already tried emailing a couple of suppliers but struck out. Will try my LFS next.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store