Search results

1. M

Discombobulated Hoplias

Thanks guys. I want a new one(Or three), however, the difficulty is finding them over here for reasonable money (Sods law that I missed out on another large one recently). The only thing I can think of at this point was the cause being the introduction of a new fish earlier last month. I'd...
  2. M

Discombobulated Hoplias

Gone :(
  3. M

Discombobulated Hoplias

Well, after a few ups and a great deal of down, it looks as though the big guy is not long for this world. I've tried what I could but after some progress, he took a massive dive this morning and now hes upside down, fighting for breath. At abot 5 thisnmorning I head a lot of splashing and...
  4. M

Wolf fish with silver arowana?

While small, a 180g will be fine asa grow out, as long as the Mala isn't as big as or bigger than the Aro. That said, different fish have different temperements so who knows how they'll react to one another. It's always a risk with Wolves.
  5. M

Wolf fish with silver arowana?

I keep two different species of Wolf, 4 wolves in total with my Silver Arowana (In a 360g). If anything, the Silver is the more aggressive when it comes to the Golds (Hoplerythrinus U, biggest is 14") which i assume is down to them competing actively with the silver for food. Everyone steers...
  6. M

Suriname Hoplias Curupira

that Vulture is Tiiiiiiny ;) I'm sure he'll grow quickly, assuming the Umbee and Curupira don't go all Ted Bundy on his ass. Do I also see Somethinghiding at the back? Or is that just a bit of wood?
  7. M

Discombobulated Hoplias

Well, small update. He seems a little better at the moment but certainly not perfect- his breathing has calmed and is now happy sitting on the bottom of the tank calmly beneath his favourite piece of wood. It looks like he hit his eye as there is a mark both on his head and accross his eye...
  8. M

Discombobulated Hoplias

Hi All, i'm a little concerned that i'm having to write this... ..My Hoplias Curupira has been behaving strangely for the last couple of days, bobbing around on the surface, thrashing, heavy breathing etc. It looks as though he's hit his head, something he's done before but usually he's...
  9. M

tank size

I think you've missed people's points here. We're not provideding justification to anyone with a tank that is too small- quite the opposite really- but the basis of the original post was as a means to 'get back' at those established members who were (rightly) critisising people keeping Arowana...
  10. M

tank size

Sorry to jump on the band wagon but I feel I must agree with a number of people here and disagree with much of your assessment. You start on a rock solid foundation, with an interesting observation yet your whole argument is lost by the ambiguity of it all- you've given no suitable dimensions...
  11. M

First Foray into Arowana ownership

Interesting development... turns out he doesn't like Brycon..! The Brycon (Hilarii) is around 18-19" but they're not seeing eye-to-eye at the moment. Generally, it's a bit of chasing and even snapping from the Silver Arowana, especially around feeding tim. I thought the issue would be the...
  12. M

Good to hear. I didn't go for the Umbee in the end as I think the combination of Cichla and Umbee is an accident waiting to happen, never mind the others but if it's working at the moment, that's good news. Did you add the Vulture?
  13. M

Payara, Armatus??

the second one is Cynodon Gibbus. Quite rare in the hobby.
  14. M

How's everyone doing?
  15. M

Cheers! Last night was his first proper feed which started very tentitive, gently grabbing a few pellets here and there. Then I cracked out the crickets again and it was like someone lit a rocket up it's arse! Suddenly he's feeding eagarly, snapping up pallets and lunging for crickets with...
  16. M

What other fishes can u keep with silver aros?

To be honest it's rife everywhere; you need only think of a large fish of some description and someone will be trying to keep it in a tiny tank and will still have the ordacity to get up in arms when someone tells them they're wrong. Best bet is to try not to get annoyed by it...! But, in...
  17. M

Well, it was kind of typical that no sooner have I posted this he started taking hikari, albeit, with the lights out. Horray!
  18. M

Hi All, This is my first post in the Arowana section but, having recently come into possession of my first Osteoglossum bicirrhosum, I had a couple of questions, which i'll come to in a moment. I've always like the idea of owning an Arowana (specifically and O. Ferrari) however, I've never...
  19. M

Damn, I really hoped that it would work long term. Do you think it was just an issue of food or were they showing signs of real aggression? I'd throw the Vulture in, if it was me- I'd be surprised if there was any issue with that one. On the Umbee- There's one for sale locally that I'm...
  20. M

Very similar behaviour to the sort I see on a fairly frequent basis in the shoal of golds- very unusual to see any damage but lots of posturing before they calm right down and carry on swimming around together. Beautiful pair, though. Would be a really impressive sight to see a pair of 15"+...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store