Search results

1. Mudfrog

F1 Male Dovi 12”+

A 12"+ Dovii has already outgrown a 48x24 foot print. I housed a 9-10" in the same tank once, he really could have used more room at that size.
  2. Mudfrog

What's everyone using for filter floss?

I typically use them as throw away and not rewash them. The coarser black media I'll rewash. I haven't had any issue with the blue leaching, not that I've noticed at least. I buy this: Blue filter media and this black filter media
  3. Mudfrog

Is this a type of algae?

It does seem to congregate near the roots. I have quite a bit of Java Fern / Anubias in my sump. I'll leave it be for now.
  4. Mudfrog

Is this a type of algae?

Very interesting. I have two clown loaches in the refugium, I wonder if they would snack on it or if I should just "attempt" to scoop it all out. I don't have any fish that breed so I wouldn't need it for that.
  5. Mudfrog

What's everyone using for filter floss?

I use the blue and white filter floss on top of a coarse black sponge. Both can be purchased from Amazon. Occasionally I'll run a polishing pad in my tray, but it usually clogs within a few days. My tray is around 9x12.
  6. Mudfrog

Is this a type of algae?

If I swirl the water it mixes up fairly well also, it's a lot of little pieces instead of a larger piece. It doesn't seem to be attached to anything either, just kind of laying there.
  7. Mudfrog

Is this a type of algae?

I'm pretty sure it's diatom algae, this tank was set up in the beginning of July, so that makes sense.
  8. Mudfrog

My new little Gold Wolf

My old red wolf had several tank mates, never had an issue short of stealing food. But they each have unique temperaments. I'd prefer a Hoplo, but would settle for a Raphael. I know they are very tough and since they are mainly out at night it would hopefully work.
  9. Mudfrog

My new little Gold Wolf

He's around 4" or so. He does have a busted mouth, bought him that way. I'm hoping it heals up fine. He's in my 40g refugium while I seed an FX4 for his 75g. He's already taken pieces of shrimp, so that's a good sign. Looking for recommendations on a bottom feeder that can handle his...
  10. Mudfrog

Is this a type of algae?

I'm getting this all over my 40g sump / refugium, but not in the main tank. I'm assuming because there isn't any filtration in the sump itself, short of the drip tray with filter media. The sump is planted, it does have snails and a couple fish.
  11. Mudfrog

Overflow box, Herbie or Durso

I purchased this overflow box to replace the loud PVC overflow that I built. I didn't know how the middle chamber would affect setting it up as either a Herbie or Durso. The bulkheads are for 1". Would the center chamber cause an issue with either style? It has two middle tubes that go down...
  12. Mudfrog

DIY overflow really loud

Sorry, I don't follow you. One of each what?
  13. Mudfrog

DIY overflow really loud

Unfortunately it's just a room over from my theater. It gets annoying during a movies quiet scene. If it was just white noise that would be fine, but this is flat out LOUD. I was doing some research though, it seems that the gurgling could be caused by the PVC not being large enough, which...
  14. Mudfrog

DIY overflow really loud

It looks like those require an overflow box though. If that's what it takes, I may do that.
  15. Mudfrog

DIY overflow really loud

So is there any way to quiet this down some? I did the overflow per a youtube video. The pipe at the top has an extremely loud gurgling sound. I added a valve, closed it a little and shoved some filter media in there, it helped but it's still very audible 25' away. Any suggestions? Is there...
  16. Mudfrog

Semi planted tank lighting.

I need some help with lighting. Someone gave me a bunch of Java Fern and Anubias. I understand these are low light plants. I have read, if you have to much lighting on these it will burn the leaves. I'm putting together a 75g with 40g sump / refugium. The 75g will have some Java fern...
  17. Mudfrog

Red Wolf!

I understand completely. We had a Derecho hit in June of 2012, I lost all of my fish including him. We were without power and water (well water) for over a week.
  18. Mudfrog

Red Wolf!

What's up?! It's been a long time. I got tired of the maintenance after 17 years so I shifted over to reptiles. I have a Blue Tongue Skink, Gargoyle Gecko and two Leopard Geckos. It's now time to revisit aquariums though. Truth be told it's because I was at the LFS the other day and they...
  19. Mudfrog

40g sump / refugium

I can't comprehend not using a form of mechanical filtration :WHOA: I don't think I could bring myself to do that. I do see a lot of aquariums like that though. In the last sump that I built, I used filter floss and just yanked it and replaced it every two weeks. It was so easy. I plan on...
  20. Mudfrog

40g sump / refugium

So if I'm looking at the pictures correctly, you didn't have glass walls, etc. You simply used a piece of foam as a main source of mechanical filtration and the rest of the tank was simply a refugium? I had planned to add shrimp / snails to the refugium as well. Did you have any bio media in...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store