Search results

1. A

My two wels catfish (Silurus glanis)

Miguel, I would really NOT keep wels and koi at the same pond. For a certain reason I had to keep the wels for some time in the same tank with a carp, and despite the fact that the carp was much too big to be eaten by the wels, one of them attacked it for several times, what resulted in one case...
  2. A

They are both doing well, and have also somewhat grown. However their growth is much lesser fast than I supposed, probably also because the tank is unheated, and was always below 20°C during the last months. It´s interesting that they swim a lot next to the surface when the lights are off...
  3. A

At the end of last year, I did fulfil a personal dream, and bought two little wels catfish. I ordered them together with several other coldwater fish from a fish farm. One is wild-coloured and was around 15 cm and one is hypomelanistic, with a white-pinkish colour, and was around 17 cm at the...
  4. A

Huge Cat.

And there aren´t any Silurus glanis in Africa as well.
  5. A

Huge Cat.

The fish on the first photo is a Wels catfish, which was caught at the Po-Delta, Italy. This particular photo became very popular in the internet, with a lot of hoaxed background stories. The third photo is a wels as well, not a vundu-catfish, which have a different head shape, other barbels and...
  6. A

Wels Catfish Tank (Theoretical)

Of course it is important to feed a wels enough to enable a fast growth, and the temperature is important too. And like in all other fish too, its growth slows down with age. If you don´t give them much food they won´t grow much. Here´s a link to a site of a guy who had some wels for several...
  7. A

Wels Catfish Tank (Theoretical)

The wels is mainly inhabiting regions which are only in summer really warm, and even then temperatures over 20°C are not common. In winter the waters even often freeze at the surface. But still the wels is very well doing in warm water, in fact it really flourish when it is keept in water over...
  8. A

Mekong giant catfish vs Arapaima gigas.

There is absolutely no indication for a goonch of the sizes claimed by you. Even the very largest ones are not much over 2 m, and there is really NO proof of one only close to 4 m or 1 ton.
  9. A

Worlds Largest Freshwater Fish?

Those alleged 22 feet for the chinese paddlefish are also highly dubious and it is highly likey that this was only a big-fish-story. But still they reach lengths of 4 m and are undoubtly among the largest freshwater fishes.
  10. A

Worlds Largest Freshwater Fish?

The dates from fishing-world-records.com are acutally in many cases just unconfirmed old big-fish-stories.
  11. A

No, if you look at the actual confirmed dates, the mekong catfish is not the longest one. Giant freshwater stingrays are undoubtly longer, as well as chinese paddlefish, even if you only count confirmed records and not the old bigfishstories. The largest wels are also confirmed to have reached a...
  12. A

RiverMonsterHunter, there are indeed sturgeons which spent their whole life in the freshwater. There are some smaller species which always live in freshwater, but there are some bigger species too. There are for example populations of the white sturgeon which are not anadromous and don´t wander...
  13. A

Wallago leerii

I don´t know how wallogos are in aquarium, but I suppose there is not much difference to wels. Wels like it to have place where they can hide, for example under roots or in a big plastic tube or so. You should also probably avoid too much light.
  14. A

Wallago leerii

It looks a bit like a wels, but it´s none. You can see that it has only two mandibular barbles instead of four. The shape of the head and body is also somewhat different. The wels has a somewhat shorter but broader head and is horizintally lesser comressed.
  15. A

New shots

It´s a wallago, wels look differnt.
  16. A

9 foot, 230+lb Wells Catfish caught in Spain

It is quite normal part of their colouration
  17. A

Even the most authoritative books seems sadly not always a good source at all, because many of the authors just copied old data without own research. I really highly doubt that the wels you have seen were more than 3 m, especially in Germany. I look for many years for reports and photos of...
  18. A

30 foot monster

The idea that a century-old eel could grow to monster proportions seems nice, but it is completely without scientific background. I once wrote an article about this for a magazine, based on the growth-rates of many hundred european eels which were examined for a scientific study in Ireland. It...
  19. A

jprp, those stories of 17 feet are nothing but BS. The longest confirmed wels on record was "only" 2,78 m, and the heavies one, which was only 2,52 m weighed 152 kg. Both were, like most other exeptionally large specimens caught in the italian Po Delta. A hypothetical 17 wels would weigh much...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store