Search results

1. B

4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

You mean that's an actual law in some states? I was in an accident where I got rear ended so hard it pushed me into the car in front of me at a red light. Once everything got sorted out a bit I was concerned because from what I used to believe I was going to be responsible for the damage of...
  2. B

Compilation of DIY plywood tanks (Load Warning)

It seems all of the pics stopped working for the thread. I'm not sure if this is just from what I can see or if this is for everyone. I'm not sure if its a temporary deal but if they're gone forever that would be unfortunate. Hopefully they will return and if they do I'm ready to add more...
  3. B

Why is there no algae in my friends turtle tank?

*sigh* I know... You speak the truth... I didn't make this thread to get a rise out of people or to get people to start hating on my friend (although he deserves it). I made it because I thought maybe he was doing something unique that maybe turtle owners did differently than fish owners that...
  4. B

I'm thinking your right about the chloramines in the water. I know he has to add roughly two to three gallons of water a day to keep the water above the filters intake because of the waterfalls the filters create. Since the tank is a 55 gallon that's only filled about half way I'm guessing...
  5. B

Equipment you should not get

I've had nothing but problems with Aquaclear powerheads. Granted I've only owned two but both have eventually quit on me after roughly six months. I can usually take them apart and put them back together and get a little more life out of them but they always fail again. I've heard nothing but...
  6. B

Your opinion on water changes?

I voted one since I have a drip system. I also have piranha but for the love of all that is holy they acted like I was about to torture and murder them during a water change. No matter how calmly I moved around during the water change they would go nuts. One even looked like it "passed out"...
  7. B

SO DISAPPOINTED!!!

Just throwing this out there. If this fish is sensitive to things like PH in any way then that could very well be the culprit. Remember if the fish started at a PH value of 6 and your tank had a PH of 7 that is a 10 times difference. If your tank had a PH of 8 that is a 100 times...
  8. B

Your thread is another one I've actually been following with great interest. I'm actually waiting for you to get everything finished up with a nice full shot before adding it. It's already one of the cooler ponds I've seen but the fact that your adding on a bar makes it so much more awesome.
  9. B

240 Gallons My 240 ply tank started http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293874
  10. B

When they gave my thumb stitches they had to give me three shots of some kind of numbing drug at various points in my thumb. Basically the doctor slid this thick needle under the skin and started rotating and pushing it around inside my thumb while injecting whatever was in it. It hurt much...
  11. B

Bad luck man. It could have been worse though so I'm glad it didn't do any permanent damage. I've had to get stitches in my thumb before and it makes it a PITA to do anything without fear of breaking the stitches or causing it to start bleeding. So... pics of the stitches? :D
  12. B

Drip System with a sump???

I made a drip system and put one of e shopps overflow boxes on my tank. The U intake tube is clear so you can keep an eye on it and I'm only draining roughly half a gallon per hour. To be honest I wouldn't be too concerned with the build up of gases. I started the overflow siphon about a two...
  13. B

Proper Bulkhead Installation

I thought applying an aquarium safe lubricant to the gasket and then installing the bulkhead just a bit over hand tight was the way to go. The lubricant is so the gasket doesn't stick to the bulkhead or glass during installation at an angle so it gets an even flush seal.
  14. B

b I wish but I doubt it. If you lift the hood and stand next to it the smell in the tank burns your nose and eyes. This can't be good but he keeps insisting the turtle is fine. I guess you just can't get through to some people. He doesn't seem to grasp that a pet is something that has needs...
  15. B

did some testing. The water is off the charts in ammonia with no nitrite or nitrate. I guess case closed. I don't know if reptiles respond to ammonia the same way fish do but my friend doesn't seem too concerned.
  16. B

I don't know what kind of heating lamp he's using but I know he only turns it on 6 hours a day. Also I know for a fact he doesn't do any water changes. As far as parameters go he doesn't test it but I guess I could get some of it and test it. I don't know if its fully cycled or not but it smells...
  17. B

My friend has a 55 gallon tank with a red ear slider turtle. It has two of the penguin filters with biowheels and the tank is only filled about 2/3s of the way up so the filters have to draw water up and it falls back into the tank. He doesn't do water changes and has never replaced the...
  18. B

That's a good one. Now please let us all in on the joke (preferably with pics of a 4300 gallon tank that's being filled :D) so I can relax about this possibly being true. If it is true then that is ridiculous if its not true then you really had me up until BadOleRoss's comment.
  19. B

You ALL lied to me!! This isn't Easy!

If you throttle back the pump does this cause the water level in the overflows to fall to the appropriate level? If so you have some options. You can get another overflow, bigger overflows or just leave the pump throttled back. It all depends on what you want to do.
  20. B

You ALL lied to me!! This isn't Easy!

A lot of good advise in here. I'd say your two best options would be getting another overflow or slowing the pump down with a ball valve. Personally I would just slow the pump down with a ball valve. Its cheaper and since you already have two intakes a third one would seem like it would add more...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store