Search results

1. R

FS 500 gallon Acrylic tank, (2)FX5,Laguna pumps/ filters, Warren, OH PU-only

Trying not to derail your sale post so I'll keep my question short. What's your opinion on the FX5 vs the Laguna Clearflo? I'm debating between the two for my turtles (350g indoor pond). Can you comment on noise, effectiveness, difficulty of maintenance? Thanks!
  2. R

How many Diamondback Terrapins in a 150 and a few other questions.

The 5.0 florescent tubes are no good, they put out next to nothing in terms of UVB. At a bare minimum, the 10.0 is needed, but MVBs (Mercury Vapor Bulbs) are ideal. Expensive, but necessary. MegaRay and T-Rex are the two best brands...
  3. R

Too build or buy sump question.

Is it the correct type of acrylic though? If it's extruded, it's nowhere near as strong as the cell cast type.
  4. R

Crayola Play Sand

Just about all sand you buy at Home Depot, Lowes, or wherever says it's not safe for aquarium use. For the most part, it just means they haven't tested it with animals and don't want the liability for saying it's ok.
  5. R

Watch for free aquariums

Just got me a 165G (6'x2'x22") and stand for $100 off of craigslist. I KNEW watching it daily would pay off eventually. ;)
  6. R

Sometimes it's good to get help...

So after acquiring a used 75G tank a couple of weeks ago ($75), I carried it (by myself) up to my 2nd floor apartment. Didn't have too much trouble getting it there. Resealed it, because the seems looked a bit worn. Took it to my parents house to water test it in their driveway for a couple of...
  7. R

Reef-Ready Hole Locations

Hey guys, I'm working on building a stand for a 75G Corner-Flo Reef-Ready tank (don't have it yet), and was wondering if anyone knows the positions of the holes (so I don't build under them). Specifically, if you're observing the holes from a top-down view, and the corner-flo is in the...
  8. R

90g/40g double stand help...

Isn't that still putting all the weight on any screws/nails? You end up with a situation where the shear strength of the screws are important. For a wood stand to be adequate, the joints are the key. Lap joints are good, you want the pressure to be vertical. Plus, there still won't be enough...
  9. R

DIY Ozone System

Not to rain on your parade, but is it possible that it's really just from pushing all your water through a ton of activated carbon? Could be an interesting experiment, to just run the system on a dirty tank with > 0 nitrates and yellow/brown water, without the ozone generator being plugged in...
  10. R

My 100lb catfish...

I was gonna say, glad you weren't going grabblin (or noodlin) for those guys... might have ended up getting you instead. Good to hear they were thrown back, it's sad to see these massive ancient fish taken for sport.
  11. R

DIY Aquarium Prices

Totally not worth going custom for a 75 gallon. You can buy a glass 75 gallon for $120, or a reef-ready 75 gallon for $200. To make it worthwhile, any DIY tank has to be at least 300 gallons.
  12. R

Red ear slider help

agreed. mine is really shy about letting people see him on his dock. the moment he hears someone coming (even in a different room), he'll dive off like bat out if h***. the water depth looks alright, although they are definitely aquatic turtles and can stand (and like) much deeper water. i'm...
  13. R

bearded dragons

bearded dragons are primarily solitary creatures (they don't like to be with other dragons). to get 2, you'd really need to have two viv's, or one really large viv (think tegu size, or around 8'x4'x4'). putting two dragons together can lead to aggression, toe and tail nips, malnourishment, etc...
  14. R

A realisation and some dats

just a little advice, when you're taking pictures, definitely use the tripod. Yes, it's a bit awkward, but it will dramatically improve the picture. Also, I believe that camera has a fully manual mode for adjusting the aperture and shutter speed. For this type of photography, I'd suggest...
  15. R

hair algae?

im having the same struggle in my planted tank, although mine is bright green... ive heard that amano shrimp are pretty much the only thing that will eat the hair algae, only problem is they are expensive to get...
  16. R

180 need advice

not a great price for around here, unless it's drilled... it seems companies tend to add $100 per set of bottom-drilled holes (2 per overflow). ie - non-drilled 75 $115, drilled $209
  17. R

Bearded dragon

a couple of things... 1. to <thebestincali2000> get rid of the heat rocks, they are one of the most dangerous of all things you could have in the tank, they are known for burning and killing reptiles of all sorts. 2a. to <thebestincali2000> get the beardie and the iguanas in separate...
  18. R

Where to buy

19. R

so mad right now

so a while back, i posted about the LFS near me selling a 12" TSN for $45... well i didn't have a tank taht would fit him, and now I just found someone near me selling a 15" TSN, and 2 18" Knives of some variety ALL FOR $35!!! I really have to figure out a way to house him... i want them...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store