Search results

1. heatherbeast

Blood worms for Peacock Bass

Yeah, those are kind of like French fries for fish. It gets them eating, but isn't good for them long-term. Try some cut whitebait to get them started on frozen foods. It's found in international markets, usually frozen, and is often used for fish soup.
  2. heatherbeast

Orino

Ah, that's lovely photography!
  3. heatherbeast

Still in the Hobby

Okay okay here I am! Crappy cel phone photos first. I did move, which unfortunately was not without casualties. Stripey (the one with my kid's hand in his mouth) fell on one of the Raphael's fins during moving. Dumb dumb dumb of me. :( Hopefully this will mark the end of bad decisions on my...
  4. heatherbeast

Still in the Hobby

This may not make sense to newer members, but I'm here! For those of you that remember me, Stripey and Princess Bloop are old and blind now. I have a female Rio Araguaia female kel that's still growing out, and a farmie Azul that I just picked up and am growing out. Pics can come later, but I...
  5. heatherbeast

Rio Araguaia Growout Thread!

They definitely are taking their time! All of them are still under 10". Largest male: Middle-sized female Smallest male, still looking kind of drab. Group Shot.
  6. heatherbeast

What's the most interesting bottom feeder with you cichla?

Still tickled to death with my striped Raphael, Orson Wells. :) He's about 10 inches long now. Biggest damned Raphael I've seen, but I love him to death. Does a great job on clean up, since he eats protein-rich food. He is well armored enough and confident enough in his size that he's...
  7. heatherbeast

Hmmmm

Not fat enough for an egg tube.
  8. heatherbeast

Bassinmike's Orino growout thread

What good spangling. Love those fat bellies. Keep up the good work!
  9. heatherbeast

Orinos fighting!!

Can verify that orinos are aggressive. My female would NOT stop effing with my big male hybrid, even after he pushed her face into a heater. She's blind in both eyes now because of the scraps that SHE always started, and ended with her getting shoved into the corners of the tank, and /still/...
  10. heatherbeast

New PU

Those long snoots! Looking forward to seeing you grow them into beasts.
  11. heatherbeast

New Peacock Bass care/guide series coming

Yes, I've seen that thread! Didn't know if our friend wanted to rehash that in video format or not. :)
  12. heatherbeast

New Peacock Bass care/guide series coming

With all that great feed you're selling, please please please do an instructional on how to get bass pellet trained, or on frozen foods at least! I've lucked out and been able to get all of mine (except for my first, which ended badly) onto pellets withn a week of getting them. But I feel like...
  13. heatherbeast

Here we go. The males (middle, bottom) aren't that much to look at, but I am starting to see spangles on their anal and pelvic fins. Lady looks nice (top).
  14. heatherbeast

Venezuelan Spotted Temensis

That face is nowhere long enough to be a tem/pinima
  15. heatherbeast

Hi hi! The fish are are hitting puberty and are just now starting to color up. I was really confused for a while because they looked like they had a possible 4th bar, with no speckles or spangles. As of two weeks ago, I was despairing of them actually being kelberi, which would be strange to...
  16. heatherbeast

I Did it Again! Sold as Ocell

Hi guys, things have been crazy with raising a toddler. My lady is a bit of a trouble-maker, and injured her eyes a few times getting into scraps with my big Azul/mono hybrid, and has since gone blind in them. I didn't keep up with the salt and water changes like I should have. :( I suppose...
  17. heatherbeast

Tanganykan peacocks

Are those Boulengerochromis? So eensy right now. ;)
  18. heatherbeast

Scavenger needed, any ideas?

Megalodoras would be awesome!!!! Striped raphaels can get quite big in tanks that size, although they would be hard to come by at a size that's 'ready to go' for a big predator tank like that.
  19. heatherbeast

Questions for pros

Keep up with water changes and water quality, those bass will surprise you. I have had a heater scare with the temps up to nearly 100*F for short periods of time, and they did not mind.
  20. heatherbeast

Need help venting Orino.

First one (2nd pic) is female. Can't tell with 4th and 5th pics.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store