Search results

1. M

need ideas of plants for discus tank

splant, I was thinking myself how long the paintball tanks will last. I figured that since I have around 15 Co2 tanks (9-24 oz) it shouldnt be to much of a pain in the ass. I will probably change co2 canister weekly with water change and plant maintenance. the description of the Co2 system...
  2. M

never used a uv sterilizer but from what i hear they can cause oxidation of trace elements. others say they have had no side effects. its kinda a damned if you do and damned if you don't appliance. but then again I have been wrong before and this thread proves that. good question btw.
  3. M

splant i am planning on using co2. I found one at marineandreef.com for $156 close enough for me its the Red Sea CO2 Pro System for Paintball CO2 Cylinders cheapest place Ive found on the net for one. I am an avid paintballer so I have many tanks that i rarely use. the kit doesn't come with a...
  4. M

btw how big are your festivums? those aren't M. acoras are they? what size tank is that. Nice driftwood pieces as well. did you find them yourself or did you purchase them from a retailer. Also nice pic. I never could get a good pic of my tank.
  5. M

I thought i read somewhere that discus are found in densely planted areas. Thats why they have that distinctive narrow body form (makes it easier for them to navigate through plant systems).
  6. M

K value is 6500. lower end of the sprectrum and its a 24 inch deep tank. Power compacts lose alot of their power at around 20-22 inch. so that being said I dont think its to much light, maybe a little high near the top. But I will also include some sort of floating plant that's easily thinned...
  7. M

I think I will go with Co2. Got any suggestions for a cheaper Co2 system. Id like to keep it under $150. I would prefer a system that uses paintball tanks but the ones i have found usually go for 200 or more. Are the right regulators available at hardware stores or is it better to find one...
  8. M

Ive heard that for planted discus tanks that you dont want to go with much more filtration because 1) natural discus habitat is very slow moving and excess flow associated with filtration will cause stress 2) any Co2 levels will drop significantly due to gassoff if any higher filtration is used...
  9. M

hey everyone. so here is the setup 75 gallon. Two power filters each rated for 50 gallons. 48 inch aqualight double compact fluorescemt stip lights 260 watts total which brings light into the arena of 3 1/2 wpg. 60 lbs of eco-complete plant substrate (the very best ... or so I hear). No Co2...
  10. M

experimental paludarium

Im trying to figure out what I should stock my small scale paludarium with. its only 10 gallon total... about 4 1/2 gallons of water area is in use... I was either thinking some african dwarf frogs, pea puffers or maybe even 1 figure 8 puffer alone.... but I dont know how amphibians like newts...
  11. M

mbuna with personality

demansonis 4 life
  12. M

150gal +... build with Pics

lookin good... Ive even build tank stands out of cheap discontinued banister legs with no problems... But it is always better to be safe than sorry by going with some overkill just to make sure that busted tank doesnt happen
  13. M

sand for freshwater tank

thanks again everyone I just moved the 75 and found some pool sand..... cleaning wasnt as much as a pain as I thought.... It looks really good going from black gravel where any brown algae was easy to see to a beautiful sand substrate... so much more natural... thanks again
  14. M

sand for freshwater tank

thanks for the info... it really helps out alot.... Keep on fishin
  15. M

sand for freshwater tank

also what is the best way to rinse the sand with minimum loss of the grains?
  16. M

sand for freshwater tank

sounds like I should just keep looking for the pool sand...... I really dont wanna spend all day rinsing through sand:irked:.... How many pounds of the pool sand will I need for the 75?
  17. M

sand for freshwater tank

So I have been looking everywhere in town for some pool filter sand for my 75 gal. I havent been able to find any but today I ran across some play sand..... as in for sand boxes.... this was labeled as Cleaned and screened... Will this sand work? Or is my best bet still gonna be pool filter sand?
  18. M

Angel fish and Festivum cichlid?

I actually have a M. acora with 2 angelfish as well as the firemouth and rams and have not had any problems until recently. At one point I had 3 angelfish. One of them died about a week ago, obviously from being attacked. I think the reason for this is that it was a calico and the similar color...
  19. M

Unknown CA Cichlid

my best guess is a.............. mutated and mutilated salvini from the planet fishpoop, who has come to enlighten us all of the inevitable doom that is about to consume us all because none of us can identifiy this little bastard. that's just a guess though
  20. M

Your not a M F K Unless ?

your not a mfk unless you swim with hammerheads in your back yard pool converted to a tank!!!!! :nutkick: haha, had you goin, that would just be idiotic.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store