Search results

1. J

HRP Flashing scratching gill area

Certainly could be dominance--You can usually tell the difference between painful flashing (fast, constant & random) & a more controlled dominance behavior. Hopefully he's just showing off! Just keep an eye out for new symptoms, as those new passionis could have brought in flukes or other...
  2. J

Feeding veggies

Brand shouldn't matter as long as its made for aquarium use. The Petco by me sells Kent brand, so that's what I've always used--A bottle will last years. They usually keep it in the saltwater section because those fish never want to eat for some reason...
  3. J

New Oddball Clown Loaches

All I buy now are oddballs, but I have a few big 3-bars still hanging around from my early days. Large oddballs are worth big bucks, but the small oddballs aren't very easy to separate & they may not stay oddball, so they don't get picked out of the big batches of 1 inch fish that come to...
  4. J

HRP Flashing scratching gill area

Driftwood can harbor all kinds of nastiness, but it does sound like the ick is trying to make a comeback since the flashing happened first. If the tannins are enough to change your PH they can compound the problem, but it sounds like you're doing enough water changes that it shouldn't be an...
  5. J

Feeding veggies

Heck yeah, if he's already a pellet eater, try a veggie pellet.
  6. J

Feeding veggies

Veggies are tough cuz you have to have the right veggie at the right height, with a hungry fish that's trained to know what a veggie is. For example, Nigelk's severum probably needs a soft veggie like cucumber or spinach clipped close to the top of the tank--He's a tough fish, but he's still not...
  7. J

Baby Firemouth slightly bloated

Sounds like an internal parasite to me--Soak food in metro or dog de-wormer (which is usually metro-based) & add a drop of garlic extract to make sure he eats it. Add some metro to the main tank & be vigilant for a few weeks, as those big white turds can be loaded with more worms/parasites.
  8. J

another ich and salt thread

UV will kill the floaties, but does nothing to the ick that's stuck on decor/plants or resting on the substrate--I usually get flamed for this, but I am a huge believer in copper treatments. Since you have a catfish the dosage would have to be extremely small, but in my experience low dose...
  9. J

Loach and angel fish compatabitety ?

Clowns would be too aggressive for the angels & they would punch holes in all your plants looking for snails. They would decimate the snail population, though. Angelicus botia is a better choice--Less aggressive for sure. That said, every angelicus I've ever had needed to be quarantined...
  10. J

Clown loach grow outs

Well that sucks that you lost a few CL's, but at least you got the others out. Regardless of the growth rate you get, I don't think these are good tankmates. It seems to me bichirs are one of the few fish that would be able to damage even large CL's because they use the same multiple fin...
  11. J

Strange pigmentation on my clown loach

Is he the biggest in the shoal, or maybe close to the biggest? The dominant CL in a shoal will usually "grey out" to show his status--That's totally normal & the grey color would probably spread completely if this is the case. If you already have a big grey dominant in the shoal, this guy may...
  12. J

Looking for a cat to do my dirty work

A squad of 4 or 5 clown loaches would leave no place for those fry to hide, but they might be too big by the time you get the loaches out of quarantine.... Big loaches are $$$$
  13. J

how to get a clownloach to eat cucumbers

Put a drop of garlic extract on the cucumber slice & make sure you get your fingers outta the tank in time...
  14. J

4 inch polka dot botia not eating. HELP

One drop of Garlic extract in the water will get him eating in a hurry.
  15. J

Feeding big clowns

There's probably 20 great loach feeding threads on MFK, but it really all boils down to a basic concept: NLS & other hi quality prepared foods, supplemented with fresh veggies, snail meat & frozen bloodworm. Vary the mixture daily & you will have healthy, happy, solid CL's.
  16. J

feeding loaches

Follow Lupin's advice above & crush a few snails for them. Feed only crushed snails for a day or so & they'll never want pellets again. Of course, you have to keep their diet varied, so keep rotating your foods & they'll learn to eat everything you throw in there.
  17. J

LED's and Glossostigma.

VERY impressive. How many watts total? Probably half the wattage of a single tube the length of that tank? 10 times the light though...
  18. J

Very skinny loach..

Quarantine, Garlic extract & medicated food--Ready. Go.
  19. J

De-Worming Loaches -- Is It Really Necessary??

Its a 99% Garlic Extract that will send your fish into a feeding frenzy. There are several brands out there, but I use the Ken's Garlic Xtreme cuz it's easy to get locally. You can put a drop or 2 into the water, which attracts the fish VERY quickly, or use it to add significant "garlic power"...
  20. J

Dude, my clown loach lays down and goes to sleep????

Ha! Collective knowledge is a beautiful thing... Whoever runs that site probably just trolls around MFK 24/7 posing as some 13-year old kid from Idaho, then pastes all the info he collects up to his site.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store