Search results

1. K

Indoor pond humidity

I’m starting to get the itch to build an indoor pond, probably 4x5 maybe. How much would something like that contribute towards humidity levels in the house?
  2. K

Mini versions of US native fish?

Try a madtom. Native, stay small.
  3. K

Dragon puffer

Lurker, not worker.
  4. K

Dragon puffer

I already have one worker, so I’m probably not gonna get another one. Been kind of looking at the more active puffers because I really enjoy my avocado puffers.
  5. K

Does anyone know a tank size for bullhead cats?

Fwiw, we have some gigantic bullheads around here, I routinely catch them at 15-16” with my biggest right around 18”. They can get huge, and should probably have a 24” deep tank. I’ll have my wife try to find some pics later.
  6. K

Two spotted Congo puffers

I can’t afford 5-6. They are each going in a separate 75. They’ll have tankmates, but not each other.
  7. K

Using wild driftwood in aquarium

I use native driftwood, and I’ve also used fresh out of the creek. Just scrub it off real good. I waterlogged pieces in a 55g tank in my garage, with a light bleach mixture a week or two before I use it. Some of these pieces have been around for 10 years, no problem except for light tannins.
  8. K

Two different epoxies

Composites can be bonded securely just by sanding the areas to be glued with 400grit sandpaper. Cleaning it really good too. Simple, but make sure you scarify the surfaces completely.
  9. K

Cinder block stand

I’ve got pieces of 2x on top of the block. My concern with 4 high was stability. I’m using 2 columns set in a foot from the end. It’s a 125 turtle tank, so it doesn’t weigh that much.
  10. K

Cinder block stand

I didn’t know that about cinder blocks. Pretty cool. Yes, I’m using the slang term, I’m using modern blocks.
  11. K

Cinder block stand

I have a bunch of 2x4 stands, was looking for something a little different. The issue I have with going up to 4 is I’m afraid of the higher center of gravity vs the reduced stiffness in the block. Blocks are cheap, might just try it with a wiggle test to see how stiff it is with 4.
  12. K

Cinder block stand

I’m only using 2 columns set 1’ from each side. I’m figuring I’m only going to have about 60 gallons of water, so the weight shouldn’t be too much of an issue. Cinder blocks aren’t loadbearing? On what planet? Houses are built on cinder blocks, sounds load bearing to me.
  13. K

Cinder block stand

If I may…….. I would add another cinder block on both ends, and screw the end pieces to the side pieces to stiffen it up some. You can get self tapping masonry screws that should easily drive into cinder blocks, just make sure to pre drill the holes so you don’t crack the block. Secondly, I...
  14. K

Cinder block stand

Red eared slider, eastern red belly and musk.
  15. K

Cinder block stand

So I’m setting up a 125g turtle tank, and I’m using 2 columns of cinder blocks 3 high. I need more height though, and was wondering if anyone had tried a stack of 4.?
  16. K

So I put a divider in, but leopold keeps trying to attack the new one. I’m going to give them their own tanks for now, maybe try again in the 75, but probably not. I thought these guys were peaceful, but apparently not to conspecifics. You never know how puffers are going to react with the...
  17. K

So I got another one, put the two together, and my original is beating up on the new one. I thought that it might be territorial, so I rearranged the tank. Didn’t work. Are they establishing a hierarchy? The new one is a little stressed, so I’m wondering if it’s time to go to plan b. They were...
  18. K

Dragon puffer

My favorite lfs has some of these in stock, and I was wondering if anybody kept these before. Are they really that lethargic?
  19. K

My new T. Miurus

Very cool! I miss mine. I was cleaning the tank and a razor blade fell into the tank and got mixed up in the sand. He dove into the blade and got a horrendous wound. Fungus set in and that was the end of lurch. Lesson learned, I guess.
  20. K

Spotted Congo puffer compatibility

Mine currently lives with a Blugh gourami a whip tail catfish a common pleco and some mosquito fish. No problems at all.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store