Search results

1. C

why dont people use siphons?

I dunno . . . I've used PVC siphons into sumps before. You just put the top intake opening of the siphon inside the tank, at the level where you want the siphon to shut off. The siphons don't usually stop working unless the water level evaporates off too much, or the pumps fails, or something...
  2. C

Cinder Block Rack System?

Cinder blocks with 4 x 4 planks under the long edges of the tanks works really well, too, with less chance of warping over time like you get from plywood. It all works.
  3. C

Over Head Filter - Flowerpot Style

Flower pot overhead filters rock . . . I've made a couple from the cheap plastic flower tubs from Home Depot (for a 30G and a 50G). They last a good six months before getting hard water build up and looking dirty on my tanks, but they are so easy to replace, it's no big deal. So much easier for...
  4. C

Shark, Los Angeles

Shark, for sale to a good home. It's coming out of my office's SW tank. The shark has grown too big to play well with his tankmates (two puffers) and to fit well inside the tank. About 3 feet long, brown, pale belly, barbels around the mouth. Eats frozen shrimp. Nobody at work knows the...
  5. C

DIY UG filter ideas

How about a reverse-flow UGF . . . pump intake at the top of the take, pump output pushing water up and out through the under-gravel tubes. It would force debris up and away from the gravel.
  6. C

Super Easy Overhead Filter

That would be pretty cool . . . with lights and filtration on the top of the tank in the canopy, the stand could be anything . . . no more trying to fit a sump or canisters under a tank, getting water rot inside the stand, etc. I really like this little thing I built . . . it's the DIY...
  7. C

Sweet, I like the double-hitter. I had heard about these but never seen pictures of one . . . props to whoever invented these. If the pump fails, no spills. If the tub overflows, the water goes right back to the tank. One tub holds a ton of media . . . and depending on how you drill the outlet...
  8. C

I wanted to try making an overhead filter for an old 50 Long tank I'm setting up . . . it turned out to be really easy. Couldn't be happier with how it turned out. Parts 24" plastic flower planter 24" plastic base for the planter A few feet of 5/8" clear vinyl tubing Pre-cycled pond filter...
  9. C

Odd Aquariums

Well, there is always glasscages.com, but mileage may vary. I haven't purchased from them. There are threads about them on the site. Some have got great tanks, some have not been very happy. The prices can be very good compared to regular retail prices, though. Could also do a Google search for...
  10. C

Need help pluging a hole

Weld-On #16 or maybe #4 . . . it comes in different grades, and you might need to order it online from a place like TAP Plastics. Or maybe Loctite Aqua-Marine Epoxy . . . waterproof boat hull epoxy, you can get it at Home Depot and similar stores.
  11. C

Odd Aquariums

http://www.toxel.com/inspiration/2009/06/11/15-unusual-and-creative-aquariums/ Not sure if this has been posted before . . . neat design ideas, horrible treatment of the fish.
  12. C

Is myspace a good website to meet people?

MySpace is best for meeting friends of people you're already friends with . . . or for staying in touch with people after you've met them in real life first . . . the idea about joining a social club is a pretty good one.
  13. C

Crazy Craigslisters.....Hard to believe

Link: http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/dal/1124381572.html You might have seen this before in the "Best of Craigslist" section of that site. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Dear aquarium sellers... Date: 2009-04-15, 7:28PM CDT...
  14. C

overflow shutting down

Yup, it's the same thing as the stickies, with a few parts taken out. My place doesn't have room for big stands, so my tanks are all close to the floor, anyway, and that made it all work.
  15. C

overflow shutting down

Thanks, sure. It's exactly like the MS Paint diagram a couple of posts higher up. The sump is just a big gray plastic tub from Target with a smaller tub hanging inside it to hold media and such. A ton of threads in this section show different builds for that kind of sump, much better than I...
  16. C

overflow shutting down

Well, I didn't mean to offend anyone, and I apologize if I did by accident. I wasn't able to get pieces of the design to work. If I was going to guess, getting the air release valve properly sealed just wasn't happening. My thinking on that, anyway, was that the curve going over the top of the...
  17. C

overflow shutting down

Dunno! Check valve might be installed fine, but faulty. Could always plug over the check valve openings with some silicone or duct tape, and see if that changes anything. If it does not change anything, at least you can eliminate that as the problem. I tried the design in the stickies, and had...
  18. C

overflow shutting down

Did you put the air valve on the part that loops over the edge of the tank? It might be letting air in. When the air bubble gets big enough, it will block the siphon. You could try modifying your overflow so it looks like this: It's the same thing, just a little stripped down. This worked a...
  19. C

I got sand stuck in my ear.... Anyone know how i can get it out?

Amputate. Sorry, try a turkey baster with room temperature water, very gently. It may take a bunch of tries.
  20. C

Deal or No Deal?

I'd offer him $60 and see if he bites, or brings it down to $80 or so. Because it leaks and it will be a project to get the tank usable. Could be a great deal! Just get it as cheaply as possible.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store