Search results

1. G

Plywood 4x2x1.5 started - pics - step by step

I started painting with liquid rubber. 6 coats applied to the interior and 1 to the exterior. I applied the liquid rubber with a roller brush and used a paint brush to touch up the corners. The liquid rubber didn't dry properly inside and I found the tank had to be put outside in the sun for a...
  2. G

Bogged the countersunk holes and irregularities. More tools purchased (all from bunnings): Sand paper $1 Paint brushes $5 Plastic blades (for bogging) $3 Paint rollers & tray $6 Drop sheets $2 TOOLS TOTAL SO FAR: $147 More materials purchased: Plastic wood (bog) $10 20L ZAVLAR liquid rubber...
  3. G

Changed my mind on the layout of the tank. Flipped it and the base will now be the front. Will use 10mm glass instead of 6mm as the cost isn't much greater. Left a 5cm perimeter and cut out the viewing window. Had to replace the jigsaw again as it was crooked :(
  4. G

$40 upsidedown fishtank in pond

Most people I read about clean these with a magnetic algae cleaner. Great idea on the siphon. Might be an easier solution than plumbing in an intake pipe!
  5. G

115cm,x 37cm x 6mm glass quotes: 6mm float $70 or 10mm $140 with polished edges 6mm $50, 10mm $75 without polished edges Found a supplier and ordered black Zavlar. Also a coloured coat option http://www.zavlar.com.au/#!zavlar-colour-shield/csdy http://www.zavlar.com.au/#!purchase/coz2...
  6. G

Just sucked it out with a gravel siphon by mouth. Easy. I think I'd plumb a filter intake into the top of the upsidedown tank to pick up any debris. There is always a way.
  7. G

Advice needed - RTGG hides a lot, and only nibbles at food.

Thanks Wailua Boy - your ggs must be happy in that setup! 5 week's seems like a long time to settle in. Could he be missing his last owner? They seem to recognize different people. Cheers fwprawn. I've got a well behaved tex and a variety of normal gouramies in there that I added in an attempt...
  8. G

Looking at putting a custom job together to go with my 4' plywood build. Still toying with how to do it. Thinking of using galvanized angle on the outside of the tank with liquid nails (doubles as bracing) to support the tank over the main tank.
  9. G

Good news - he's started eating a variety of food but still reclusive. Just taking his time settling in I think. Been 6 weeks now. He's nibbled on plants since being in the tank but wasn't eating much He's in my workroom so plenty of activity.
  10. G

GIANT gouramis

:headbang2:headbang2:headbang2:headbang2:headbang2:headbang2:headbang2:headbang2:headbang2:headbang2:headbang2:headbang2:headbang2:headbang2 Awesome!! Good new too - my RTGG is showing more interest in food. Might just be taking a while to settle in.
  11. G

GIANT gouramis

Casper used to - my RTGG is a bit of a wimp :(
  12. G

What I can't believe is how it looks like there is no water in it and you can see clearly to the bottom of the tub.
  13. G

Sure is full of water. This is my first go at an upside-down aquarium. I'm thinking of setting up a plywood fish tank with upside-down aquarium on top. When changing the water air will go into the upside-down tank as the water level drops below the lip. Will have to suck air out again as...
  14. G

Items - 4 bricks, $20 100 liter tub and $20 kids aquarium I couldn;t believe how easy this was to set up.
  15. G

My RTGG about 25cm has been in tank for over a month. Water tests are all good. Temp 25C (28C at the moment due to heat wave). Tank planted with T5 overhead lighting. RTGG hides about 70% of the time and is very flighty. Only picks at plants and occasionally takes tiny fighter pellets but...
  16. G

More tools purchased (all from bunnings): Jigsaw replaced due to missing roller Free Magnetic drive guide set $10 Caulking tool & gun $8 Cutting guide clamp $25 TOOLS TOTAL SO FAR: $130 More materials purchased: 100 galvanized countersunk timber screws 50mm $12 1 tube selleys silicon $11...
  17. G

GIANT gouramis

Starbuck rocks! Love it when GG's mouth at you like that.
  18. G

GIANT gouramis

WOW!!! What is his behavior like? I'm a bit concerned by my RTGG as it hides 70% of the time and only picks at food.
  19. G

Update - spoke to liquid rubber Melbourne. They have no product in stock and their tech is away. He'll call me when he gets back in mid Jan to explain best method to seal glass into tank. Apparently no epoxy is needed and it can be done with liquid rubber and a polyurethane caulk.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store