Search results

1. G

Jaguar and jack dempsy

We obviously have completely opposite views of keeping cichlids. My comment was intended for the OP. I base my view on experience with keeping Jags as well as other large cichlids. I stand by my opinion just as you stand by yours. Gotta love having a 300 gallon tank! I know you put a lot of...
  2. G

Jaguar and jack dempsy

IMO a 75 gallon is not an ideal size for a Jag, female or male because of both size and behavior. If you want to keep them with tankmates, a larger aquarium is even more important. Some members tend to think that female Jags will stay small but they can grow larger than 8 or 10 inches. With...
  3. G

Lyonsi?

Tough break. I hope you can pick up some authentic Lyonsi from a member or vendor. They are great fish to keep. I have a breeding pair that constantly keep my growout tank full of fry. Good luck!
  4. G

Pictures of Carpintis,Texas,Purple Spotted Gudgeon (Morgurnda adspersa), green terror

Nice fish!I had a group of Purple Spotted Gudgeons years ago. Cool little fish that eat like pigs! I'll probably get more some day.
  5. G

Why New Life Spectrum???

Gotta love those elves! Well, thanks for the additional marine info too. I know it's the wrong forum but having both fresh and marine tanks, I can certainly appreciate the information. Getting a Mandarin Goby to readily accept prepared food is a challenge in itself.
  6. G

Why New Life Spectrum???

I've read the information in the link posted by the OP before as well as other articles and statements written about NLS, both positive and negative. I initially didn't think much of the product before using it as a staple diet for my own stock. The overall health and appearance of my stock...
  7. G

Went fishing and caught these. ID please

Nope. It's not a Festae, definitely Mayan. Very nice though!
  8. G

Last Photos Of 2012 (load warning)

Nice and healthy collection!
  9. G

Caquetaia Umbriferus- Gorillus Blue Umbees Pairing out!!!!( Load Warning!!!!)

Congrats, Jason! These guys look amazing. Are you setting up new tanks for 2013? With so many breeding pairs of cichlids and fry, you must be pretty stocked by now. Keep it up,bro!
  10. G

Bad News...

Lol...For a second I thought Terd made a new thread. I haven't seen anything new from him in a while. Did you check the date on this thread?
  11. G

Need help with skiddish red isletas.

Sometimes bright lighting can make cichlids shy or nervous. I've had fish act like that but after changing to softer bulbs, the behavior changed. Too much empty space can cause the same behavior. Introducing a few pieces of driftwood, pots, or some other structures will provide the fish with...
  12. G

What to breed?

It can be hard to sell or trade cichlids to LFS. A lot depends on the demand in your area and the specialties of the shops. In my city it is a lot easier to part with commonly kept cichlids like Oscars, JDs, and Convicts. These are also species that I don't keep. But even then there are only two...
  13. G

A few shots of my EBJD

I think EBJDs can be very striking cichlids. Yours is very nice. I have only seen a few adults that maintain both great coloration and form. Be careful with that Cray. If the EBJD is small enough it can be hurt by the cray. I've personally seen young or small cichlids badly injured by larger...
  14. G

Bye bye oscar

My tank been n cool, yes they bump head sometimes, tht like going work, u going bump heads, I feed them everything from homemade food (shrimp, salmon, carrot, peas blended) to smelt n goldfish on Thursday n more I don't know about this, man. You have a different logic about fish keeping than...
  15. G

My oscar

The Oscar doesn't look like it's in bad shape. I think it will probably continue to grow. Its continued growth and health will be determined by tank space, water changes, and diet. What is the size of the aquarium where it is currently housed? Any tank mates? The previous owner may not have had...
  16. G

Finally the wait is almost over!!!

She's a beautiful gal! RR knows his Festae.
  17. G

Bye bye oscar

I learned from another thread that you actually have two 180 gallon tanks. For some reason I thought the tank in question was much smaller. In any case it is always bad to come home to dead or dying fish. But from the stock in your most densely populated tank, you still have plenty of other fish...
  18. G

Bye bye oscar

Sorry you lost your fish. But they do look like they were beat up for a while. Were you away for a few hours when this happened? That's not the best mix of fish to keep together in a small aquarium. Anyway, I hope you have better luck with your other fish.
  19. G

Its PrimeTime!!!!

Looks like you're getting pretty comfortable with your camera. I can understand why a person would want to have a male and female. That way you get to witness the beauty in both. The blues on that male are crazy!
  20. G

Underappreciated Parachromis

You can also find three or more people having equal "hatred" in the more popular cichlids on this forum. I agree. You have a pair of beautiful and healthy fish. Take good care of them and enjoy them.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store