Search results

1. L

Acipenser oxyrinchus oxyrinchus died, ideas?

I thought about that too. The drop in temp was prob much more drastic than the raise in temp. And he died over 2 weeks after the drop in temp, so that wouldn't have been the main cause. Maybe the raise stressed him out, but I still don't think that would have killed him... I mean, he died...
  2. L

Well I had the filter output making bubbles, as well as an air pump on a fine air stone, and a battery powered backup air pump, I wouldn't think that low O2 would have been a problem. It may very have been over 70 degrees at some points, but I doubt for a prolonged period of time. Especially...
  3. L

Oh cool, do you go to St. Mary's College? They apparently have a sick wet lab with a flow through system.
  4. L

Well they take back the sturgeon at the end of the school year. They got them from some sort of fishery, I have no idea, I don't have direct contact with them, although I tried to get it to see if I couldn't keep the fish until it out grew my tank. The fish was on the DNR supplies pellets, I...
  5. L

Hey man, where is Mechanicsville? I live in Easton, on the Eastern shore.
  6. L

perch?

Both yellow and white perch would get large. You say you want them 2-3 inches.... what happens when they grow? You would need a 100+ gallon tank in the future, we catch yellow and white perch around 8 inches here, not sure what they max out at though.
  7. L

Striped Bass / Sturgeon Questions

I have an educational permit for any juvenile native Chesapeake bay species, and have had both striped bass and atlantic sturgeon. Excuse me, but I have not read much of the topic, seeing as there are already 20 posts. Where do you plan to get your fish from? I got my sturgeon from the DNR, and...
  8. L

Well I figure in his already weakened state it could have put him over the edge. Nothing abnormal on the tests. I put some conditioner in before i left to be sure at least no ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate built up. With 1 fish in a 150 gallons of water a cycle is pretty hard to maintain.
  9. L

No, I'm plenty assertive about it. I'm not mean, but I repeat myself a lot, and make sure she knows the fish's life depends on it. I suppose she just doesn't remember. That state screwed so many people over. They gave several schools a sturgeon, all the same size as ours, and identical...
  10. L

It's not a school corporation, it's a public county school. There was nothing I could do. I was counting on the automatic feeder. No janitors, no cleaners, nobody allowed in, period. I couldn't take him out of school either.
  11. L

Am i out of line, please educate me???

Ya, 4 setups out of how many? THe only reason I was even able to have my Atlantic Sturgeon is because it was part of a state program and when he got too big I could give him back, and he would in 10 years help save the species in the wild. i completely %100 agree with you
  12. L

Cheap DIY Pond/Tank Idea

Call your local tack and feed shop and ask about their horse troughs. One here has 350gallon 1/4 inch fiber glass circular troughs that work as great cheap tanks and ponds.
  13. L

responsibility

Hey Paul, I live in Easton! If I am correct the Northern Snakehead first appeared in a lake in Crofton, and quickly took the lake over. I am not sure if it was part of an Asian ritual, I was under the impression that the fish got out of the tank and squirmed to the water, seeing as they can...
  14. L

Hi, I am a 15 year old high school student. I have been in the hobby for about 4 years. My experience ranges from African Cichlids (specifically Lake Malawi Africans), to striped bass, to Sturgeon. I got an Atlantic Sturgeon (Acipenser oxyrinchus oxyrinchus) as part of a program with the DNR...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store