Search results

1. Dark Jester

New love for crays!

I agree, your setup looks good, and a nice variety on the crays. :) Your driftwood pieces are pretty cool. Not sure if different crays have different tastes. My Marbled Crays didn't like anubias leaves or stems, but they kept digging them up to eat the roots. With fish, it's a random chance...
  2. Dark Jester

New crayfish, is this Marmokreb?

Sorry to hear that. :( That would probably confirm it isn't Marbled, but not necessarily. Marbled Crays don't usually cannibalize, but they are capable of it. Of my original 8, 1 was eaten, but it was the smallest of the group and I couldn't say for sure whether it was alive or not when it...
  3. Dark Jester

New love for crays!

Should be fine. Crays might move them around, but they won't shred or eat them.
  4. Dark Jester

HELP Identifying snail. How to Identify a marble crayfish?

Need pics to answer either question for sure. :) You can Bing or Google Marbled Crayfish images and get a good idea what they look like. They're clones so aside from some variances in coloration, they all look alike. There are a couple cray species that get the furry claws. Maybe Procambarus...
  5. Dark Jester

It's just a distinctive look. They are usually a brown/tan color (though they can go blue or red/orange), and their shells have a 'marbled' look to them, with lighter spots splashed around. Usually have dark lines running down the tails. Since they're genetic clones, they all look alike...
  6. Dark Jester

marbled crayfish?

Looks very similar in the pics. Wonder if P. Fallax might be one of the Marbled Crays original parents? They even have the same color range as Marbled (Blue->Brown->Red) Here's a Fallax pic, compared to the Marbled pic above, they are obviously very closely related: Have always wondered...
  7. Dark Jester

marbled crayfish?

Don't have any pics of my reddish one, but here's one from the web: The pattern on the sides of the main carapace, and the dark lines down the tail are fairly distinctive. Combined with the narrow claws, and I'd be 95% sure yours is Marbled without a better lighted pic. :)
  8. Dark Jester

Yep, they curl their tails and will spend all their time hiding for a few weeks when reproducing. They won't eat much (if at all) while they are brooding. If you have a substrate they can move around, and a cave to hide in, they'll likely block off the entrance to the cave and stay hidden the...
  9. Dark Jester

What is this awesome, finger-sized snail I just bought?

Oddball ID'd them previously in this thread: http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377004
  10. Dark Jester

marbled crayfish?

Looks like a Marbled Cray to me.
  11. Dark Jester

New Marbled Cray tank :)

I need more water hardness test strips. ;) Only had 6 left tonight when I began. I started out with just 4 quarts of distilled water. Test confirmed it is at 0 GH/KH. I added 1 tsp epsom salts to the water. Test showed GH off the chart. test strip ranged from 0 PPM (yellowish-green) to 300...
  12. Dark Jester

Definately, will keep a pic log as I go. Probably start it up this weekend. I think I got at least 16 babies in the 2.5g at the moment, so I can do 2 per container. I decided to go with some mostly transperant 1 gallon sterilite containers rather than jars. They measure somewhere around...
  13. Dark Jester

Think I got it fixed. Pics showing up now? Tried logging out and they still show up for me as a guest user.
  14. Dark Jester

Dunno guys. They show up for me, and they're visible in the album linked above. Only thing I can guess is it's related to the infraction I got. I'll try reposting the pics when that expires on the 18th. If it doesn't work then, I'll host the images on my server instead.
  15. Dark Jester

Hrm, they show up for me, and the album is marked as Public. Can you see the album itself? http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=5281 Maybe it's an infraction thing. That's still on my account for another week. Not sure what negatives are associated with those.
  16. Dark Jester

Well, babies started adventuring out, and I saw the Cory Cats circling and I think they picked a couple off. I figured if I didn't get them out I wouldn't have any left within a couple days. So, they're chilling in a 2.5g now for a week or so until I get the individual containers set up for...
  17. Dark Jester

Got some Cray Babies today. :) Pics are the best I could do with my camera. These things are tiny, like 2mm long. Focusing on somthing that small is a pain in the ***, especially when trying to use a flashlight as a light source through the side of the tank cause the mom has them completely...
  18. Dark Jester

electric blue cray tankmates

My Marbled Crays eat any snail they can get their claws on, and snails aren't exactly known for speed. ;) Crays can chew right through their shells (even MTS), so they are pretty much defenseless. Not sure on other cray types. If you want to try, I'd treat it the same as fish. It might work...
  19. Dark Jester

electric blue cray tankmates

Most species labeled as Electric Blue are agressive toward fish. You could add just about anything with them, but they may get picked off by the crays. I'd try some small fast community fish. Really you can try just about anything, but just go into it knowing that the fish might end up being a...
  20. Dark Jester

Clams?

^ +1 Lot of people stay away from them because it can be difficult to tell if they die. A clam rotting under the substrate can be a massive ammonia factory. Also if they reproduce, the larval form can attach to fish's gills and cause damage and potentially even death. Some people keep them...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store