Search results

1. notho2000

Paretroplus nourissati / Lamena: A 'first'.

I decided to leave the latest spawn in with the parents rather than 'pull' it, to see how far things would progress naturally. Well, after 6 days of diligently being guarded, the eggs have begun to hatch. There has been a marked change behaviorally in the parents. The usual scenario pre-hatching...
  2. notho2000

Paretroplus menarambo / Pinstripe Damba Guarding Spawning

Thanks Jason. Paretroplus maculatus, menarambo, kieneri, dambabe, nourissati, Ptychochromis grandidieri, oligacanthus, Paratilapia polleni. Thankyou. I'm not sure why the video is more blueish. The lighting is 'daylight' fluorescents (T8s) Thanks. I decided to pull the spawn on the third...
  3. notho2000

Paretroplus menarambo / Pinstripe Damba Guarding Spawning

Of the eight Madagascan cichlid species that I keep, none are as magnificent as the Pinstripe Damba. It is one of the more frequently available ones in the cichlid hobby but by no means common. They do best in groups of 6 or more and since they will reach a maximum length of 10"+, large tanks...
  4. notho2000

Dambas

5. notho2000

Theraps nourissati with fry

I won't be pulling any of these because I've got a batch of fry on the go already.
  6. notho2000

Dambas

Thank you. These fish are believed to be the origin of most of the cichlids that are found in other parts of the world. So they ARE the ancestral species.
  7. notho2000

Dambas

thanks Smitty. They definitely do best in groups but don't really school. This tank is pretty crowded so they are kind of forced to school.
  8. notho2000

Dambas

Whenever I give my presentation on 'The Cichlids of Madagascar' to groups, my commitment, enthusiasm and passion for them seems to build even more. There is nothing quite like them in the world of cichlids and cichlid keeping. I have a video of some of my Dambas and I'd like to share it with...
  9. notho2000

Theraps nourissati with fry

This is one of two breeding pairs of T. nourissati that I have. Both pair are currently herding around a cloud of fry in their 165G tank. There are two pair each of Thorichthys pasionis and Astatheros robertsoni 'Jutiapa' in with them, but the parents are doing a great job of protecting their...
  10. notho2000

Theraps nourissati ... A Great CA Cichlid

This species has had a recent change in genus, first Amphilophus, then Astatheros, and now Theraps. It has become a recent favorite cichlid, at a time when I'm attempting to reduce my CA cichlid species count. The eggs, which were laid on the rock to the right three days ago, hatched overnight...
  11. notho2000

Etroplus canarensis fry just introduced to their new 'home'

This batch of Etroplus canarensis fry have just been moved into their new home, a 25G cube tank. Prior to this, they were in a 5G tank, where they hatched, absorbed their yolk sacs, became free swimming, and fed on newly hatched baby brine shrimp for 2 or 3 days, building up a bit of size and...
  12. notho2000

Thorichthys pasionis 'Laguna Noh' pair spawning

i believe helleri are similar in this regard.
  13. notho2000

Feeding time in 180G South American biotope tank

The stock in this tank consists of : 9 Geophagus winemilleri 4 Acarichthys heckelii 2 Heros liberifer 2 Heros efasciatus 2 Heros notatus 1 Hoplarchus psittacus 2 Geophagus brasiliensis 'Bahia red' ~8 Young Heros efasciatus (2") that survived in the tank from a spawn about 4 months ago.
  14. notho2000

Off the grid, almost

Duane, good luck in your venture. We'll be following your adventure, if you'll share it with us. We're all living vicariously through you LOL. Please find those fish, breed them and send them to us.
  15. notho2000

Off the grid, almost

Good luck in your venture, Duane. We'll all live vicariously through you lol. BTW, you have to find those fish!!!
  16. notho2000

Some Thorichthys species will not do well( bloat) if kept too warm. This is one of them. Yes I have raised a couple of batches of pasionis
  17. notho2000

This three year old pair of pasionis have spawned, a rare occurrence for them, in that in the time I've had them (and another pair in the same 90G tank), there have only been a couple of spawns from each pair. I do keep them cool on purpose for their general well-being (~24C) so this may have...
  18. notho2000

my breidohri

I've had this species for about 6 years now. Several generations. One of my favorite Centrals. Stunningly beautiful. These are about two years old ... very slow growing. Male ~9", female ~7".
  19. notho2000

Maskaheros regani

Thanks for the kind words!! I agree with you regarding the growth rate being really slow for both regani and (for me, maybe even slower), argentea. Breidohri are also sl-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-w. The regani look somewhat like breidohri but IME are more elongate than breidohri. I believe both argentea...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store