Search results

1. D

striped pecock eal!!!!

I've had 3 at different times. Never had much luck with them. The first one lasted probably 3 or 4 months. The last one lasted 8 months. I never could any of them to eat consistently. Sometimes I could get them to take a bloodworm or 2 and that's about it. I'm sure they eventually starved.
  2. D

Water Changes

Interesting.... You could just submerge the pump for a quick water change but how do you prime the pump to do a gravel vacuum?
  3. D

Eheim 2217 vs. XP3

I own 2 XP3s, but have never owned a 2217. My first experience with the XP3 was pretty negative. It was a major pain to get it going again after cleaning. All sorts of problems like noisy, impeller not turning, losing it's prime, clogged very fast and so on. But I noticed while cleaning it one...
  4. D

Just set up my 125 gallon

I agree with aclockworkorange. The best thing to do would be to fill up the new tank, bring it up to temp, move the fish to it and simply put the filter from the old tank on it (or all of the media from it in the new filter). Pretty much instantly cycled that way. Or if you wanted to keep the...
  5. D

vacuum sand substrate

Yep. You also need to rake through the sand from time to time to prevent gas pockets, if it's over 3" or so deep.
  6. D

Whats a good filter for a 75g?

Pretty sure he didn't mean all of them at once. Try inserting an "or" in place of the commas.
  7. D

Whats a good filter for a 75g?

I run 2 XP3s on mine.
  8. D

looking for a good filter

If that is true, then why is it rated at 450gph where the XP3 is rated at 350gph?
  9. D

How to fix a leaking Rena xp3 cannister filter

Where is it leaking? If it's the outside seal, then check the clamps that hold the lid on to make sure one isn't broke. Also check to make sure the 0 ring is seated properly; might also lube it with some vasoline. If it still leaks, replace the 0 ring. If it's leaking where the power cord comes...
  10. D

Stuff Growing Inside Filter Tubes??

I think the PEX tubing is an excellent idea, thanks. I was thinking of picking up a cleaning brush for a shotgun barrel and was trying to think of something flexible I could rig it to. PEX would be perfect I think. I could cut the end of a cleaning rod off and glue it into end of the PEX and be...
  11. D

Moving Very Large Aquariums

I can see where getting a tank that size down a narrow stairwell with a 90 degree turn in it could be problematic. Are you certain it will fit around the 90 degree turn? Probably up on it's side it would, unless it's unusually tall or something. Anyway, I'd rent a commercial grade moving dolly...
  12. D

xp3 trouble

My guess would be you're getting air into the system somewhere. Maybe a hose is loose on the intake side. Or maybe the seals around the quick disconnect are leaking a bit. Check to see if there is water in the top housing, if so, those seals are probably leaking. Also take a look at the canister...
  13. D

Pool Filter Sand?

Sorry..It's white with a little black peppered in here and there. It's heavy also, you can stir it and it settles right back without clouding the water. Believe I gave about $5 for a 50 lb bag at Lowes.
  14. D

Pool Filter Sand?

Lowe's, outside in the garden/plants section. http://www.quikrete.com/ProductLines/SandPoolFilter.asp
  15. D

Help - Switching from gravel to sand!

If I were doing this with water and fish in the tank, I'd probably go to a home improvement store or somewhere and get a 1 gallon bucket. You can find them in the paint section usually. I'd fill it with the gravel using smaller cup or glass to dig with (maybe pick up a quart size also), then...
  16. D

Pool Filter Sand?

I used the Quikrete PFS in my 75. I didn't rinse it at all and it never clouded.
  17. D

doing tests on my tank right now

Sounds like an unhealthy situation for everyone involved to me. Grandparents threatening to pour bleach into you tank. You threatening harm to their cat in retaliation. Pets caught in the middle of the feud on both sides. Me thinks the best thing to do is either live by their rules, it is their...
  18. D

SeaChem Purigen ~ Ultimate Filtration?

There is alot of discussion on bagging the purigen in this thread, so I thought this was a good place to ask this question versus starting a new thread. Will the 100ml bags that come with it stand up to the 1:1 bleach solution? And what is their dimension?
  19. D

great cheap poop vac

Very interesting... I'm going to have to see if I can find one local to look at, as it looks perfect. I noticed the info on the link you gave says "your hands stay dry", that concerns me a bit. I'm wandering if it will work with tanks that are deeper than it is long? How long is it, by the way...
  20. D

great cheap poop vac

How strong is the air pump you connected it too? Does it remove the water or return it to the tank? I've been looking for something as well. I want something quick and easy, with the sole purpose of removing waste off the top of the sand. I was thinking about trying to find a small electric pump...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store