Search results

1. T

Anyone Keep Jacknifes?

Hi Hats are tough. I used to collect them when I lived in FL. We stopped because out of every 10 or so we caught usually only one would live. Keep in mind that these fish were hand collected by me, given the best care and food I could give them, and so it would be difficult to have a much...
  2. T

RIGHTY HO. I'M ON MY WAY.

Just get meaner clowns. Most clowns can hold their own, just stay away from ocellaris and skunks and probably even percs unless they are big. Maroon clowns and tomatoes don't put up with crap from anyone. 20% a week is great. With good live rock, good turbulent flow and a nice skimmer, you...
  3. T

Can someone help me out please?

Yup, tank mates are fine. Just keep the tank covered. I would wait with the 55. Just make the jump to 75 or 90. Its not that much more expensive, and will save you from making that jump again in a few months (thereby wasting tons of cash)
  4. T

salt nooby question

I like pendant lights: killer adjustability, low heat transfer, great distribution. and for the price you are talking about, you could get a pretty sweet setup. three of these would run you $900 from marine depot. I run a 6' long 180gal with 2 400 watt halides and it is plenty for anything. 2...
  5. T

fish safe anenomies

Squamosa clams are the best choices for new clam keepers, I think it very possible that one could live in the system you are describing, be wary of harrassment from the sharks / eels. Clams are tasty. Keep fish well fed and maybe they won't go looking for clam bake. colony polyps are fine...
  6. T

smoking live rock

thats what it looks like. smoke, powder, mist. With some species it looks like a thick cloud, and with others you can actually see eggs.
  7. T

Tiny Brittle Stars

Too funny, I had a "bloom" of these like two days ago. Mine are uber miniscule right now, but everywhere. My wrasse is having a heyday on them. I changed the flow a little bit and they blew out of some rock.
  8. T

bleaching on new acro coral.

Yup, I was referring to par values. They are the best "blue halides" IMO, but compared to a good 10 or 14k bulb, in general, much lower par. Most par values drop substantially as you go up in K rating. Not all, but most. I would use the Hamilton stuff if you have both already. Hamilton...
  9. T

first salt water

none or maybe all depending on how full your glass is. In natural conditions every coral in the world would outgrow that tank. Corals are colonial, and will keep building until they run out of space or conditions change. So theoretically they will grow to the space available. You will have to...
  10. T

Brown Jelly Disease

I don't have any experience with vitamin C, but if you can get that frogspawn out and give it a dip in something, it certainly wouldn't hurt. I lost a large bi color golden torch once and it bascially took the rest of the LPS corals in my tank out with it, with the exception of one head of...
  11. T

should i frag my birdsnet coral?

sometimes the inside portion of these tend to die out anyway, fragging to decrease the internal density a little bit once in a while goes a long wa toward having a happy coral. Either way, it shouldn't be a problem. These frag pretty easily.
  12. T

smoking live rock

My bet is a crab or shrimp somewhere inside the rock. This is a classic description of a spawning event. watch your parameters, you may need to do a water change if you have a nutrient spike. the last time I had a mithrax crab do this, my corals grew insanely that week.
  13. T

Plumbing my sump HELP?

what kind of pump? also, I put ball valves with disconnects on both sides of my pumps so I can replace them without draining my sump. (nonstop is right though, never turn the valve closed on the intake side of a pump with that pump on. bad juju) if you only have 3/4 coming out of your pump...
  14. T

Naso Tang VS Alge

wow. We agree on almost everything but philosophy and even some of that. I feed all my fish NLS and saw Pablo's Idols. (Its actually how I got started feeding it, and why I showed it to my bro (FLESHY) 90+ percent of my fishes diets are NLS with Thera. I don't care that garlic doesn't grow...
  15. T

aeration

Definately use some live rock and don't skimp out on it. Buy some good rock from a good source. It actually works as a filter for the system. Both by removing nitrates with anerobic bacteria and by seeding the rest of the system with the same. The fish picking on it will not effect it negatively...
  16. T

Help!! Carpet Anemone ate my Hawkfish

yes, that is definately not the case. Sticky is a sign of health, not hunger. They will always attempt to feed, even if stuffed fat. I can feed mine 3 or 4 days in a row and it will always try and get it down. It won't get much out of the last feeding (poop out whole chunks of fish) but it...
  17. T

why cant i get rid of cyano in my fuge?

Damn. U right! shiz.
  18. T

Kent Marine Turbo Calcium

the best way to figure this out is to do redundant testing. test it at the same time every week or even everyday, and see how much the calcium drops during the week or day in heavily stocked systems. Then you can figure out your dosage. Never, ever, add anything to your system you aren't...
  19. T

fish safe anenomies

yup. they may get nibbled on, but recover quickly, cost less and deal with high nutrient levels very well.
  20. T

bleaching on new acro coral.

Radium 20k look awesome, (honestly a little too blue for me), but at a very low par value. I know a few people who have spectacular SPS tanks with LEDs but they have uber expensive ones.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store