Search results

1. luvinbluegills

Feeding quirks and you

Hi fish folk, my fish are showing me that tastes among them can be as unusual as tastes among people, and I'd enjoy hearing about some of your experiences. My Giant Gourami is typically a trash can with fins; just toss it in. However, I've found that his favorite food is green bell peppers...
  2. luvinbluegills

The Woefully Underappreciated Sponge Filter

An old couch provides enough padding for 50 or more. I also make them from pillow batting stuffed into stockings cut to size.
  3. luvinbluegills

So, how's that fish taste, anyway?

It was possibly the most controversial thread ever. A certain owner had a pacu that had outgrown its tank, so he ate it. I can't find the thread so I might not be remembering the title correctly, or it may be intentionally buried. Perhaps someone else can recall it.
  4. luvinbluegills

That's a neat looking fish! I think that the next time I go shopping at an Asian market, I'm going to take the plunge and buy some of those fish. I've read that Clown Knife is very bony, so maybe I'll start with snakehead.
  5. luvinbluegills

What species is "pomfret"?
  6. luvinbluegills

Olive Oscars

That's it, that's it!! I wish I knew what happened to my copy of that book!
  7. luvinbluegills

Olive Oscars

When I was a kid, back in the 70s, one of the Axelrod books published pics of some wild Oscars that were an olive green with bits of gold and red. I thought they were incredible and watched for them ever since but have never seen them in any shop. In fact, only once have I seen them, and that...
  8. luvinbluegills

No, this won't be a rehashing of that thread (you know the one), instead, I want to hear about the tastiest fish you've eaten around the globe. In my area, most of the Asian markets offer frozen/jarred Snakehead and Blue Gourami (trichogaster), and their frozen sections contain whole Clown...
  9. luvinbluegills

Sea snakes?

That does match up with what I've read and watched about them. I have friends who keep cobras, pit vipers, etcetera, but have yet to find someone who has tried sea snakes.
  10. luvinbluegills

Sea snakes?

I'm curious, has anyone here (or a friend of a friend) attempted to keep a sea snake at home?
  11. luvinbluegills

Desktop 10 Gallon Stock Ideas

A pair of German rams would do well in there...Checkerboards...shell-dwellers...certain julidochromis...
  12. luvinbluegills

Introduced an Arowana, are these fish safe together?

Mine bites at the tails of the polypterus if they don't go all the way into their hideouts.
  13. luvinbluegills

Thanks, I came up with the name for fishing forums originally because Bluegills are my favorite fish to go after. Have you checked with fish farms or wholesalers to see if you can buy some, or are they banned in England?
  14. luvinbluegills

Turtles and Birchir compatability

What Oddball said.
  15. luvinbluegills

Mine is voracious at 15", and after eating his own food will flip over and pick up anything bite-sized he can find on the bottom. That would mean cories are history.
  16. luvinbluegills

Ornate

The activity of my Ornate is closely tied to temperature. 78 degrees and he's as active as an mbuna. 76 or below and he hides til nightfall.
  17. luvinbluegills

Desktop 10 Gallon Stock Ideas

Dwarf cichlids.
  18. luvinbluegills

endli not...breathing?

My Nigerian lap does that too. Freaked me out the first time I noticed!
  19. luvinbluegills

Identify this bug?

Most that I've seen have been, but the books claim they can range from grey to brown or black, to bright neon colors!
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store