Search results

1. B

Omega One vs NLS

I feed Omega One sinking veggie rounds, soften them up first and break them into little pieces so all my fish can handle them. They are packed with nutrition, and the dojos and barbs go nuts over them. The smaller fish peck at them, as well. How much they actually get inside themselves I'm...
  2. B

Favorite fish !!!!

Dojo loach.
  3. B

what are moss balls for?

Why would I want them to float? Aren't mossballs supposed to stay on the substrate? Mine have been in my tank for months, and are still nice and green all over -- no fading, no signs of any kind of distress. Are we referring to the same species of mossball? Mine resemble tight little deep...
  4. B

what are moss balls for?

Well, if they're not producing enough oxygen, it's certainly not because my tank isn't well oxygenated. It's a 20-gallon-high, and I have an AC50 hob with the flow control valve open full throttle, plus a four-inch airstone that bubbles vigorously. Plenty of current and should be plenty of...
  5. B

what are moss balls for?

I read that they don't really need very bright light. They're one of the few aquarium plants that can get by on low to medium lighting. My dojos like to use them for cushions, sometimes, and rest on top of them. Yes, mine roll around in the tank, and I really don't mind because it's...
  6. B

Baby Dojo Loaches FINALLY!!!

For one, your temperature is way too warm for dojo loaches. Did you acclimate yours to your tank's water conditions before putting them in? If you put them straight into your tank, the difference between your water and the store's water where you got them from could have been drastic enough to...
  7. B

Waterchanging Hose/Python?

Can one cut the hose down to whatever length they need and re-attach the fittings to the shorter hose? All the python-type devices I see in LFSs and other pet places have 25-foot or 50-foot hoses, and I don't need a hose nearly that long. My large and deep 65-gallon will be set up within 12 feet...
  8. B

compatibility question ....

Soon, I'll have my 65-gallon coldwater up and running. I plan to keep Rosy Barbs, American Flag Fish and maybe a pair of Paradise Fish in it, along with some dojos. My question is, aggression-wise, will either the American Flag Fish or the Paradise Fish harass dojos? I know my Rosy Barbs...
  9. B

Baby Dojo Loaches FINALLY!!!

The only problem I see with your dojo set-up is the high temperature, 80F. Dojos are coldwater fish, and will live a lot longer and fare a lot better at a consistent temperature of 70F or slightly below. My three are in a coldwater tank with a stable temperature around 68F. There is no...
  10. B

Best loach for a 55 gallon tank?

But, only keep dojos if you have a coldwater tank. They won't live as long or be as happy at tropical temperatures. No warmer than 70 fahrenheit on a continuing basis, and ideally, 65F to 68F. You can get golden dojos or the regular spotted kind. They like good water quality and either sand or...
  11. B

small cotton ball growths

Google offers conflicting information about this. One article states it's not a true fungus but a bacterial infection while another states it IS a true fungus with an entirely different scientific name. It does list fraying of fins among the symptoms, as well as the cotton puffs around the...
  12. B

small cotton ball growths

I recently lost both of my Chinese Hi Fins, 2" long, to something that affected only those fish, which manifested in a similar manner to what you are describing. One did have a cottonball like growth inside its mouth, and had trouble opening its mouth. It was also very lethargic and tilted...
  13. B

Can anyone help me figure this out?

It's a coldwater tank, and I know that Chinese Hi-Fins are coldwater fish. The temperature remains fairly stable at between 65F and 68F. Usually, it's somewhere in between, but rarely falls below 65 or rises above 68. I just now noticed the sticky about euthanasia. Don't need it. The fish is...
  14. B

Here's an update: While his body remained free of blemishes and he continued to swim around and continued to ride the current from the airstone, his fins continued to deteriorate. None of my other fish are showing any signs of disease or distress. Whatever this is, it seems to be exclusive...
  15. B

Dojo Loach + Kuhli Loach ?

Glad I could set you straight. A lot of LFSs give inaccurate information. They're out to sell fish, and if yours dies, they can sell you some more. They probably have the dojos listed as tropical fish because they can tolerate the warmer temps, but these people are obviously ignorant to the...
  16. B

Dojo Loach + Kuhli Loach ?

While dojos and kuhlis might be compatible together, their temperature requirements are different. Kuhli's require tropical temps, and dojos are coldwater fish. They can tolerate the warmer temps, but it will shorten their lives. Dojos shouldn't be kept in water above 70F for long periods of...
  17. B

Okay, then. I guess I can put him back into the tank. I'll just continue to watch him carefully. If I see any kind of abnormal behavior or blemishes appear on his body, he'll be isolated and treated, again. Thanks -- -- bigmamafish
  18. B

What about the single round pin-dot hole on the edge of his pectoral fin? It looks like somebody took a mini hole punch and punched that hole into his fin, it is so perfectly round. It did split the edge of the fin, but the inner part of the hole is round just like a pin head. So, I needn't be...
  19. B

My Chinese Hi-Fin, just two inches long, has suddenly shown up with the outer edge of his dorsal fin all ragged, and one of his pectoral fins has a round, pin-dot type hole in the outer edge. I know I don't have any fin-nippers in the tank, because if that were the case, some of my other fish...
  20. B

Need to rehome some coldwater fish ...

I have never shipped live fish, and wouldn't know how to do it so they would arrive safely. That's why I was hoping someone who lives in my area could respond, as I would rather personally give them the fish than try to ship them. What I have are three goldfish -- one calico shubunkin about 6...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store