Search results

1. W

Centipede help

I know this isn't an invert forum but I don't know where else to turn. I've had an ethmostigmus trigonopodus for about 6 months. It's been eating normally and had normal behaviour. Recently it developed some rust coloured patches all over the back of its head and the front third of the body...
  2. W

Borneo origin Hill stream?

i think you got gastromyzon ctenocephalus based on the description. all "sucker" hillstream loaches come from warm or cool very fast flowing rivers in southeast asia. The key is not so much temperature as it is aeration, circulation, and diet. hillstream loaches live in white water environments...
  3. W

Do You Boycott Anything?

+1
  4. W

Veteran's Day

to those lost in the pursuit of peace we will never forget
  5. W

My first mbuna tank

the only thing that worries me is the chance that the salousis and mdokas could hybridize, but if your not selling then thats not a problem
  6. W

Making a light last

Any advice on making a light last, my current record of 3 years just broke down and needs replacing, any brands or tricks to make a light last on a tank?
  7. W

Can anyone id this snake I found in my yard?

best hint in north america is as follows, if it has 2 very large "nostrils" right in front of it's eyes it is venomous. With the exception of the coral snake, which is an elaphid and rather uncommon, reclusive, and unlikely to bite, all venomous snakes on the continent are pit vipers. the large...
  8. W

Can cardinal tetra be kept with Arowana

i've actually seen this work with large piranhas, provided a very large tank, very large piranhas (over 12 inches) and frequent feeding. Every now and then a few would go missing but overall it's nothing that a quick pet store visit cannot top up once noticed and the affect is amazing to view
  9. W

BAN THE PERSON ABOVE YOU!

banned for giving me an epileptic seizure with your sig
  10. W

First African tank

just to add on on here, most dwarf mbuna would still be too aggressive for a 40 breeder. P. demasoni for example, need at least 12F-1M ratio to work out due to female on female aggression and a 75 would be my bare minimum to attempt. Salousi is a little hard to find, but it is one of the most...
  11. W

First African tank

the species mentioned above by you are haplochromides which get 6-8 inches. a 40B is a pretty small tank for any malawi cichlids because you need to heavily overstock in order to spread the aggression (minimum of 10-12 fish that are either unrelated or [B]Heavily [B] outnumber the males with...
  12. W

Can Angelfish and Firemouth cichlids live together???

no experience with firemouths but the best tetras to mix with angels in my experience are bleeding heart tetras and emperor tetras, won't get eaten and are not gonna shred fins like most barbs, BA tetras and saprae tetras. Also the reds and blues/greens complement most angelfish patterns very nicely
  13. W

Piranha LEGALITY around the WORLD

well i can see why they're banned in most of these places places, they'd have no trouble surviving an accidental or intentional release in all of those countries except possibly germany and northern china and they are effective invasives where they thrive
  14. W

Your worst mistake?

mixing an 8 inch lesser siren with a couple 5 inch hugeta gar, hint, the more expensive one i was certain would not be eaten was nontheless killed in the impossible attempt or coming home from a 2 week vacation and watching my exochochromis take flight just as i walk in the room and land on...
  15. W

number 1 aggressive fish?

from what i've heard about them and having never observed a successful tankmate with them african lungfish should have a spot here
  16. W

HOLY GRAIL!!

what it's going to become is an inspiration for FWC to search this guys house... and monitor people more closely
  17. W

Keeping piranha

only tankmates that might work are either plecos (rarely) or very large piranhas mixed with massive schools of very small tetras, preferably well camoflaged ones and keeping the ps very well fed so that there's no reason to kill the tetras, even then you will lose some tetras. Both of these...
  18. W

BAN THE PERSON ABOVE YOU!

banned for repeating
  19. W

Planted Tanganyikan Aquarium 200Gal

why is this not in the tank of the month contest? its one of the best tanks i've ever seen
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store