Search results

1. S

Otocinclus dying?

Hello; Not my experience. I do not lose individuals quickly. I would lose them slowly over months. Do not think i ever had one survive six months. This in tanks in which other small breeds last for years. Hello; You do have something suited to the fish.
  2. S

Otocinclus dying?

Hello; I have tried to keep these fish before. My tanks were well established and had plenty of algae growing. The fish did well for a while. I eventually stopped buying them figuring my local water parameters, the type of algae or some other inherent part of my local setup would not support...
  3. S

Official Off Topic Discussion Thread #1

Hello; decades ago when I was still running I discovered something similar. A small but aggressive dog, around beagle sized, charged out from it's yard at me. This was on the route of my maintenace run so i knew it would continue to be a problem. Next day I carried a stick about as big around as...
  4. S

Hello; Kinda figured the conversation would get around to this. First thing is does not matter the why if a dog is a biter it should not be loose. Regardless of the reasons I will do my best to finish off any dog that bites me. Guess I am fortunate i am not in the secret service. But I do not...
  5. S

Hello; Already told them I will kill the dog if it bites me. Already warned them of the liability they face. The man said something stupid like it will be ok if the dog bites the right person. Lots of downsides from shooting. Likely would be legal enough but some number of extra problems. Last...
  6. S

Hello; Referring back to my neighbor's dog problem. Before I go there thanks to those who made replies. Stepped out onto by back porch yesterday morning. The husband was out getting ready to mow some. He had the dog out running lose. The wife will put it on a leash, but he is a tush hog type...
  7. S

How to manage humidity

Hello; I do not contend mold is to be ignored. I also try to keep relative humidity lower even in winter on account of health risks rather than the benefits of being more comfortable in terms of feeling warm. My first experience with central air (heat pump) was from buying my current home 14...
  8. S

How to manage humidity

Hello; Did not take long for the thread to have two differing opinions. Par for this place. I like low humidity in the warm months as it helps my sweat evaporate. Higher humidity in the cold months helps because my sweat does not evaporate so fast. Also pretty sure helps minimize drying out of...
  9. S

Hello; Pretty god barn find.
  10. S

How to manage humidity

Hello; First the central air. Central air only dehumidifies when in use during the warm months. If you perhaps have a heat pump that heats in the winter and cools in the summer the story is the same. You do not list a general location so i will guess you have cold months. Next a dehumidifier...
  11. S

Hello; back a few decades when i could still run there showed up a German Shephard along my route. I hit it with pepper spray. It backed off for a bit but came back at me again and got a second dose. After that I carried a more substantial deterrent. If my hand was empty the dog got close. When...
  12. S

Hello; I cannot figure the dog's intentions. It keeps a distance if I can spin around so as to keep it from behind me. If I approach it, it backs away constantly growling and barking. The fact that it bit the trouser leg of the lawn mower guy means to me that he was just lucky. I do believe it...
  13. S

Hello; So far mostly had a talk with the woman. If my going after the dog with a large knife in my hand did not get the message across, not sure what will. I ramped up my language over time. First i told them (Man & woman the first incident) they have a serious problem. The woman has had to come...
  14. S

Hello; A question or few about a dog. Last fall one of my neighbors got a puppy. I would visit and was around the pup last fall when the pup my neighbor and the 3 year old grandson were out. I was around the pup several times. A few months pass and i see the neighbor walking the more grown dog...
  15. S

Look whats been hiding in my basement

Hello; had to edit. Mine have an orange body with spots. orange spotted salamander - Search Images (bing.com)
  16. S

Look whats been hiding in my basement

Hello; love it. I also sometimes find them in my basement. Different species tho. Mine have bright orange body with spots. maybe because i am in TN?
  17. S

Hello; No excuses needed. I figure most all of the dates of impending doom are plucked from the air. Back when i was in my early twenties after biology courses including population biology, I imagined doom by the time i was 50. Soon after several books came out with similar population bomb...
  18. S

Hello; Diseases will break out from time to time. Some will be more serious than others. Bird flu as an infectious agent likely will be some different than Covid. Maybe worse or maybe not as bad or maybe much the same. I guess two points include how the outbreak is handled and will the powers...
  19. S

Chicago officials raise new outbreak alarm as medieval disease spreads across shelters (msn.com) Hello; Interesting is it not that just a few years ago we were on lockdowns & restrictions over Covid. Now illegals cross the border carrying who knows what contagious diseases. When i was young a...
  20. S

Did you ever own a chipped corner aquarium?

Hello; After a time the only aquariums I could get were all glass. No metal frames as when I started fish keeping. I chipped a few tanks and did not like such. I found a way to protect the edges. Go to a hardware store which carries wallpaper supplies. They sell a clear plastic trim which goes...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store