Search results

1. xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Plants turning brown

The lighting period is too much, on my planted tanks I run my lights from 8am to 4pm... Plants need other nutrients beside co2, like macro nutrients N-P-K, and micro nutrients... Any time the lights are on plants are actively "feeding" meaning they're taking in nutrients whether it be through...
  2. xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Thoughts on my tank

Looking good so far! Yes that is indeed water wisteria...
  3. xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Plant ID please?

Well plants that are grown emerged commonly have different leaves on them, compared to leaves that grow once the plant is fully submerged. Such as with a Amazon Sword will have more rounded leaves on them when grow emerged, once fully submerged the leaves become elongated and longer. But...
  4. xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Lighting a Planted Tank

The term "cool white" when it comes to lighting is commonly used for bulbs from 5000k to 8000k... A commonly used bulb for planted tanks is a 6500k bulb that provides the following wavelengths... So as you can see, a 6500k bulb produces wavelengths that mainly correspond with a plants...
  5. xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

I'm back after a some time....

So after spending $200 on 2 x 48" Beamworks EVO 6500 LED's I finally switched back to a 48" T5HO quad 4x54w 6500k fixture... The LED's work great and all, but weren't intense enough so I went back to T5HO!!!! The LED's would be great for a medium lighted planted tank, but I intend a high light...
  6. xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Question on substrate & fertilizer I will

Anubias and Java Ferns don't really need much fertilizing, the PH of 7.6 really shouldn't affect them much, as my normal water PH is right around there as well. I would NOT use house hold plant fertilizer as 60%-70% use urea as the nitrate source, I would just get a bottle of SeaChem Flourish...
  7. xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

dirt planted tanks? and lighting

I don't know when it comes to a dirted tank I've had great success with Mineralized Topsoil, yes it was a pain in the arse having to soak then dry the dirt 3 times over, but in the end it was worth it because the process brings out the nutrients to immediately be available to the plants. I've...
  8. xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

dirt planted tanks? and lighting

Best aquasoil is an easy no brainer!!! ADA Aquasoil Amazonia is the best on the market today, it's a nutrient rich planted substrate...
  9. xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Finally got the tank drained, and set back up!!!! With the new driftwood piece it makes my tank look so empty lol, so I'll have to get more plants!!!! Pics to come in a couple of days to give the tank time to clear up, and get my one lonely Dwarf Rainbow Fish back into the tank... Had him since...
  10. xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

So today I cleared out all of the plants from the tank, and in the morning I'll be draining it and washing the flourite and get it set back up. The new layout looks good in my head but we'll see how it looks in the tank lol!!!
  11. xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Ich treatment and plants?

It's possible, plants and sodium chloride (salt) don't get along well. It's always advised to have a quarantine tank set up just incase something like this happens, but don't worry I don't a QT set up myself lol. But I do have extra 5 gallon buckets on hand with a couple 100W midget heaters that...
  12. xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

So tomorrow depending on how I feel, I'll hopefully get started on cleaning up the plants and giving them a H2O2 peroxide solution dip to remove any algae and snails from them... I ordered a couple Cyperus Helferi which came in today, they'll get the dip too! I want to drain the tank and set it...
  13. xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Yeah, but currently battling a blue green algae outbreak.... So it's lights out for a few days, then clean up time of whatever may have died during the lights out period...
  14. xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

So the Evo LED fixture will be here today, just waiting on UPS to deliver it sometime today!!! I've decided that ultimately I do want to get a T5HO quad fixture for this tank because it'll allow me to target both chlorophyll stages wavelength peaks, which will then able the plants to get healthy...
  15. xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Anubias Transplant

From the recent pic it kind of looks like Hygro Salicifolia
  16. xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Central American Cichlids and Plants???

Anubias growth can be sped up with higher lighting, same as any plant... The more (high light) a plant gets the faster the chlorophyll stages are able to produce for the plant, but as we know the higher the lighting means the plants need more nutrients, and ultimately need co2. As for plants...
  17. xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Anubias Transplant

Looks more like guppygrass to me in the 2nd pic...
  18. xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Brazilian pennywort leaf issues

Sounds like either a potassium or iron issue if not both... I would use a more comprehensive supplement like Flourish Comprehensive which supplies a wide variety of nutrients... What it sounds like to me is either something took a "bite" out of the leaves like a snail or fish, or it started with...
  19. xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

wouldn't this make a sweet planted tank!

Yeah that tank has to be a custom order or a fish store that used it as a display tank... My biggest tank is 72"x18"x18" which is 100 gallons that I have sitting on the stand empty since I got it like 4 years ago lol. Some day I'll get around to resealing it, and setting it up as a planted tank...
  20. xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

So instead of the t5ho quad fixture I just ordered another 48" Green Elements EVO 6500k LED fixture for $89, and since I'm very satisfied with the first EVO I got on my tank (plant growth is steady and healthy) I figured adding a second EVO to the tank will give me what I'm looking for when it...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store