Search results

1. T

Sunsun?

I've been using my sunsun 403b (2000l/h) on my 66 gallon for about 9 months now, only had to clean it three times, and it keeps the water relatively clean. I'm planning on setting up a 180/220 gallon some time this year and I'm probably going to filter it with a sunsun, the uv model though...
  2. T

800 liters project.. Help for American Cichlids and Paratilapia polleni

yes liters, it's hard to imagine a 200cm long tank that would hold that many gallons.
  3. T

800 liters project.. Help for American Cichlids and Paratilapia polleni

The standard glass thickness for a 200cm tank is 12mm in Europe. Almost every 720/1080 tank manufactured in Poland and Germany is built using 12mm glass.
  4. T

RCS substrate

sorry for the poor cellphone quality
  5. T

RCS substrate

I have 40l tank with about 70 red cherry shrimp + babies, a school of galaxy rasboras, and 4 oto-cats. This is a low-tech planted set up with, anubias, a carpeting grass, Taiwan and Xmas moss. My plants are all doing well and my shrimp are breeding like crazy. I have about 3 cm of play sand as...
  6. T

Curing Driftwood

Boiling the driftwood makes the water already in the wood expand and it tears new pathways allowing the piece to take on water faster. If you're worried about the wood lowering the ph you can put coral in your tank, or crushed coral in a filter basket, it should neutralize the effects of the wood.
  7. T

Curing Driftwood

It's good to boil the piece of driftwood before tossing it in your tank. Also, when you're before you soak the driftwood, make sure to remove any bark, and to scrub the outside with steel wool or sandpaper. From personal experience I've noticed that this makes the driftwood sink faster, and it...
  8. T

Today's addition.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bichir http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bichir According to the IPA guide it's either /beach-er/ or /*****er/
  9. T

Green Terror Spitting Out Food

81 degrees is a bit high for Green Terrors. Green terrors are found in peruvian and ecuadorian rivers at higher elevations. The problem is probably the high temp. I would try dialing down the temperature a degree or two every day on the heater. I have 2 juvies with 3 JD in a 140 liter grow out...
  10. T

channa stewartii hunting behavior

Great tank, almost makes me want to set up a snakehead tank. Did you buy those guppies or raise them yourself?
  11. T

ID needed

Looks like a blue tilapia, but very thin.
  12. T

EBJD Breeding

Give them a month or two, jack dempseys really begin to pick up color when they're around 3-4 cm. also depends on their diet. In general, I feed all my fry spirula flakes and black worms once they get about 1-2cm and I find that it brings out the color better. I noticed this after running out...
  13. T

Does your tiger oscar eat alage wafers ?

I had the same problem when it came to feeding my plecos in my oscar tank. Ever since my oscars could swallow algae wafers, I started purposely drowning egg-based or veggie flakes that the oscars didn't care for after they sank to bottom of the tank, and when I turn off the lights the plecos...
  14. T

Venting

It looks like a male, I'd be willing to bet on it, and since you've already got the water, so I guess just add a female if you want to breed. On the slim chance that yours is a female, adding another female isn't a bad idea either because Convict females seem to only notice each other (and...
  15. T

damn driftwood

I wouldn't worry too much about him, if he's swimming alright and eating, he'll be fine. Cichlids heal at amazing rates. Feed him something shrimp based to speed up the healing if it takes more than a week to heal.
  16. T

Can an oscar live in a 30 gallon its whole life?

Can oscar live in a puddle? Or do they live in the largest freshwater system in the world? Just because something is doable doesn't mean it should be done. A 30 gallon is fine for juvenile oscars even multiple ones, but I'd recommend filtration that turns over the entirety of the aquarium at...
  17. T

Need help ID-ing a cichlid.

I understand why some sites list them as CA cichlids, I had two juvy oscars about 3.5 and 4.5 inches in there with them while I was setting up my 250 liter and the jewels can definitely hold their own against them. They are definitely compatible in terms of new world cichlids, I wouldn't toss...
  18. T

They were significantly blue-er last week before the fry, they are starting to regain the blue now. They have a yellow-orange base coat and I guess the the reflection of the glass made it look brighter. I took the pictures using my cell phone, that's the reason for the poor quality.
  19. T

I'm trying to identify them more precisely, I've ended up at Hemichromis bimaculatus. I'm starting to thinking that the reason they were in the SA/CA section of my fish store was because I've read that feral populations exist in the Middle East, Florida, and Central America. Do you think think...
  20. T

Thanks, I should have just gone on here instead of wasting time trying to ID based on what a fish store told me. I was also skeptical of them being earth eaters after having them for about a month and I never saw them sift through substrate. I had red headed earth eaters before and the behavior...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store