1200 Gallon EPDM Pond Liner/Viewing Glass build

stingray keeper

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2013
Canada
Nice work! Thanks for sharing your setup.

Is that black ABS pipe? I don't understand why more people don't use it versus ugly (eyesore) white PVC. The black pipe looks way cleaner.
Out side the tank I use pvc as it is a better product especially for high pressure usage. In the tank I use abs because you don't see it much. But for years I was under the understanding that abs was toxic for ornamental fish but after seeing this stuff used by many other hobbyists over long periods of time I took the plunge. It was cheaper too.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
When I found out that Legos are made of ABS, I knew it would be fish safe. I've seen lots of ReefKeepers with their sensitive corals use it, so if it hasn't caused any problems there, it won't be an issue for our fish. I don't think pressure is an issue for anything we would be using it for. The manufacturers suggest it be used for non-pressure applications only for the same reason they say it's not to be used for potable water...satisfying the requirements (testing and certification) to make those claims is expensive, so they don't make pressure or "safe for potable use" claims. It's plenty strong, but you're right, not as strong as PVC.

Another cool thing about it is that sweep fittings are much more common, so the plumbing is much more efficient (less head loss due to friction).

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
great build thread, read the whole thing and went and followed the pictures in order of progress

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Amazing!!!! Very nice!!!! Love that seam tape!
Was that tape and liner expensive?

stingray keeper

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2013
Canada
Amazing!!!! Very nice!!!! Love that seam tape!
Was that tape and liner expensive?
Id say going the liner and seam tape route cost roughly the same as doing liquid rubber. But it is kind of difficult to do alone. I managed but I'll be honest I used up my whole swear word vocabulary.. The seams have to fall perfectly and if they happen to stick prematurely in the wrong way it's not easy to pull them apart.

Jake_Df

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2011
Austin, TX
Really cool. I want to do the same thing except with a deeper tank. How do you clean it? I want to make what that guy from canada did. the monster fish keepers vid on youtube.

stingray keeper

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2013
Canada
Really cool. I want to do the same thing except with a deeper tank. How do you clean it? I want to make what that guy from canada did. the monster fish keepers vid on youtube.
My next home I'm building the tank into the foundation of the house. Meaning when I poor the foundation for the basement a good portion will be devoted for water. Will be probably full 8' deep. I don't clean this tank really. The Flagtail does a surprising amount of cleaning and I don't run my lighting too high as to avoid algae growth. I'm from Canada... Lol I know who you're talking about.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store