Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

300 Gallon Plywood tank build

Discussion in 'DIY Tanks' started by maxumis, Jul 26, 2007.

1. maxumis

maxumis MFK Members

Okay, here goes.
      I did a practice tank before this one to make sure that I have the skills to do this tank. Here's a link. The practice did help a lot, but it didn't prepare me for the biggest challenge of this tank... SIZE! An 8' 300 Gallon tank is HUGE and very HEAVY! I had to lug this tank in and out of my flat every time I wanted to work on it. Very very very frustrating. :irked:

Okay, here is the wood for the tank. I used the 2x4s for a temporary work bench for this project.
      0.jpg

Here's a pic of some screws ready to be driven in.
      1.jpg

One side done, lining up next side.
      2.jpg

Here's the tank outside with a layer of fiberglass. Not my best fiber glassing effort to date. You can notice the white blotches here and there... I did however go over every thing a second time with the polyester resin, and that sorted the "dry fiberglass" parts.
      3.jpg

Here you can see the bottom of the tank. When I installed the bottom piece, it pulled the tank frame nice and square. At this point the tank also has 4 layers of epoxy over the fiberglass layer. The day this pic was taken, I dropped a chisel into the tank by accident. The tip of the chisel chipped the epoxy, but the fiberglass layer remained intact. So the tank should be able to survive a couple of bumps here and there. You can also notice the thing I'm the proudest of; all the parts fit together via miter cuts, thus hiding all the "open edges" of the plywood. Cutting those miter cuts was a LOT of work. 4.jpg

These two pics show the hole for the drain. All the epoxy and fiberglass layers made that area VERY uneven. So I fashioned a sander and sanded it level. Then I put a layer of epoxy over it again.
      5.jpg
      6.jpg

I hate this pic! I was handling the piece of glass for the front of the tank when I gave it the slightest, softest bump on the floor... oops. That little bump is gonna cost me +- $200. Nice... :irked:
      7.jpg

Here's the tank. Inside the flat and OUT! It is SO heavy to lug around alone.
      8.jpg
      Photo0006.jpg

And here's the sump for the tank
      sump 002.jpg

Updates might be few and far between from here on out, since someone will have to buy some new glass before the project can continue... :irked:

2. Tongue33

Tongue33 MFK Members

Warehouse Lead
      Ok that is awesoem looking :)

Though the sump is Confusing for me :) Can you explain how it is going to flow and work?

3. amehel0

amehel0 MFK Members

nice i like the 3rd and 2nd last photo. the wood colour against the white looks real good

4. maxumis

maxumis MFK Members

The green arrow indicates where the water will enter the sump system and flow through a course foam layer into the next compartment of "The Tray".
      The light blue arrow shows the flow through an area that will have BIG ceramic rings in it. The function of "The Tray" is to up the surface area of water exposed to oxygen. So basically it makes my 4' sump an 8' sump... If that makes sense... The light blue arrow also shows that the water will overflow from "The Tray" to the "Main Sump". (kinda feel like Dr. Evil here... "Lazerrrr" :grinno: )
      The navy arrow shows the path the water will flow though the chambers of the "Main Sump". The chambers will be filled with smaller ceramic rings, pieces of foam, pee sized gravel, and scrubbies.
      The red arrow shows where the pump will pump the water back to the tank.

Attached Files:

5. WyldFya

WyldFya Baryancistrus demantoides
      Staff Member

University HPERD instructor, Pet store employee
      Beautiful design!

6. scottgeeze

scottgeeze MFK Members

Retired, and Damned glad for it too.
      That's a beautiful home made tank. :nilly:

7. RexFish

RexFish MFK Members

That is a very nice tank and the colors are eye catchers. Makes me want to make one too

8. nukeman

nukeman MFK Members

Wow, that is beautiful. I love that color stain.

9. mcox3

mcox3 MFK Members

i agree the stain is nice.

10. flapper12

flapper12 MFK Members

Very very nice stain...looks awesome with that white.