$40 upsidedown fishtank in pond

Griller

Gambusia
MFK Member
Items - 4 bricks, $20 100 liter tub and $20 kids aquarium

DSC_0061.jpg

DSC_0062.jpg

DSC_0063.jpg

I couldn;t believe how easy this was to set up.

DSC_0061.jpg

DSC_0062.jpg

DSC_0063.jpg

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
So is that aquarium full of water now? How did you manage that? Does it drain when you change the water?

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
That is funky!
I buy those same containers for my plant business - they are awesome. The sides do bow when full, though. I think maybe cut a hole in the top, the size of the smaller tank, put the top on, so all you see, is the glass part, and it won't bow.

I wonder if fish will swim up the aquarium. Let us know!

kiupuriash

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2014
paramount
Been around for years, but mostly in koi forums. The rounded one, aka the koi dome, is a commercial variant and we'll the DIY'ers managed the same results with unused aquariums. Glws uploadfromtaptalk1420393417873.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1420393375457.jpguploadfromtaptalk1420393384981.jpg

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Griller

Gambusia
MFK Member
So is that aquarium full of water now? How did you manage that? Does it drain when you change the water?
Sure is full of water. This is my first go at an upside-down aquarium. I'm thinking of setting up a plywood fish tank with upside-down aquarium on top. When changing the water air will go into the upside-down tank as the water level drops below the lip. Will have to suck air out again as filling. Was thinking of setting up an overhead sump and only changing water from that.

That is funky!
I buy those same containers for my plant business - they are awesome. The sides do bow when full, though. I think maybe cut a hole in the top, the size of the smaller tank, put the top on, so all you see, is the glass part, and it won't bow.

I wonder if fish will swim up the aquarium. Let us know!
Just a test tank made with odds and ends lying in my shed. Don't even plan to put fish in it. Just wanted to test the principle and looking at doing something much bigger and more permanent. Sides of tub haven't bowed yet. Will leave it set up for a few weeks. I think this would look awesome with goldfish in it!

Griller

Gambusia
MFK Member
View attachment 1054946

What I can't believe is how it looks like there is no water in it and you can see clearly to the bottom of the tub.

Justynkak

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2015
Plymouth, UK
This is very cool! It's like from a wifi movie! how r you thinking to implement that within the plywood tank you r thinking of doing? Are you going to hold it indoors?

Griller

Gambusia
MFK Member
This is very cool! It's like from a wifi movie! how r you thinking to implement that within the plywood tank you r thinking of doing? Are you going to hold it indoors?

Looking at putting a custom job together to go with my 4' plywood build. Still toying with how to do it. Thinking of using galvanized angle on the outside of the tank with liquid nails (doubles as bracing) to support the tank over the main tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store