$40 upsidedown fishtank in pond

Kevin Lake

Feeder Fish
Oct 23, 2014
St Paul, Minnesota
How did you pull the air out?

I've never been a fan of upside down / bottomless tanks. A LFS had a saltwater bottomless reef tank and he tore it down because it was too hard to put corals inside, maintain and crud kept going to the top. I could see it in a pond though because you could just flip it to clean the inside.

Griller

Gambusia
MFK Member
Just sucked it out with a gravel siphon by mouth. Easy. I think I'd plumb a filter intake into the top of the upsidedown tank to pick up any debris. There is always a way.

MikebNJ

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2014
The Swamps of Central Jersey
I would assume once its filled with water, just snake in a hand siphon pump and suck the goop out. You can also get a bendable piece of wire and attach a pad on the end for algae etc. Everything would be magnified also while you worked ;)

Griller

Gambusia
MFK Member
I would assume once its filled with water, just snake in a hand siphon pump and suck the goop out. You can also get a bendable piece of wire and attach a pad on the end for algae etc. Everything would be magnified also while you worked ;)
Most people I read about clean these with a magnetic algae cleaner.
Great idea on the siphon. Might be an easier solution than plumbing in an intake pipe!

aljar8

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2015
United States
I read about a project years ago that I've always wanted to try. Basically the same concept, but with clear piping. The guy ran a clear 8" pipe from his basement tank up through the floor, across the first floor ceiling, and back down to the basement tank. Sucked all the air out with a shop vac attached to a fitting in the pipe at the top. The fish would swim from the basement, across the upstairs ceiling and back all the time. Really cool. Couldn't find the article, but found this pic while looking.

f3e4b4c487d89b35883223ad5fc7768d.jpg

f3e4b4c487d89b35883223ad5fc7768d.jpg

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
As these U/D setups are increasing in number, keep in mind the weight factor increase. Placing, say, an inverted 55 gal over a 240 gal will add an extra 500 pounds unevenly distributed on an aquarium stand or raised floor. The last thing you want is a poorly thought out upside-down tank.

udtank.jpg

udtank.jpg

PiranhaMatt

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
I've never seen this concept, pretty neat! I might have to play with this idea if I ever get around to building an outdoor pond.

And lol at the upside down tank pic above my post.

badassissimo

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Mansfield, Louisiana, U.S.A.
Here is an aquarium that has been my inspiration for finding new ways to put aquariums together and experience fish keeping in new ways:
upside down ceiling aquarium.jpg
I honestly think the top most part isn't going to be very interesting viewing but that can all be managed in some fashion to make it interesting. I'll bet algae is a nightmare though.

aljar8

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2015
United States
badassissimo; That's what I was talking about. Run the verticals up through the ceiling to the floor above. Run it up to eye level on the wall, and back down. The setup in your pic looks like the tanks would overflow if there was a leak. The wife would never go for holes that big in the hardwood floor anyway.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store