Acrylic Aquarium Repair & Buffing - 250Gal Example

fish meat

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2007
next door
what was the buffing compond called? is it safe to use inside the tank? in need to remove some major scratches on and in my tank. by the way ggrrrreeeaaaaaaaaaaatttttttt work.

Tongue33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
www.davescichlids.com
If I am correct you can use jewelry buffing compound.. And it is commonly used... I used the red compound that was in the kit... then decided that I got better results with just the wheel... So compounds that are used on silver or brass should be fine .

I have ssen friend very recently using Plastx from checker auto!! With awesome results :) Get non-silicone compound with no other solvents if you go with car polish :)

Remember when wet sanding to go back and forth not wax on wax off :)

Formula_JP

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2007
Lancaster PA
did you use the cleaning kit from delvies plastics? i'm thinking about buying the Novus kit in 8oz. if that will be enough.

also which buffing wheel did you use?

thanks for giving me hope for my 150g that i would like to attempt to restore.

Tongue33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
www.davescichlids.com
Any plastic or acrylic company local.. Will have the a good wheel :) I cleaned with water and a ragg. Then sanded then buffed :)

This is the kit i used on mine. I got it from one of our local suppliers...

You'll need to buy an arbor for your drill, and some jewelry buffing compound. :)

Tongue33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
www.davescichlids.com
Yes.. The compound that comes with the wheel is MY OWN PERSONAL worst enemy :D

I stopped using it :D I just burned up my wheel :) That is why i suggest buffing with The jewelry compound.. That is what is suggested over 99% of the internet :)

1-Wet sand the scratches

2-rinse down the tank

3-buff, do a small area or a seperate piece to see just how easy it is to burn mar the acrylic... TRUST ME :)

Tongue33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
www.davescichlids.com
That's PIMP!! MFK DIY ARTICLE STATUS!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store