Acrylic Seam Removal

jcjc

Feeder Fish
May 27, 2015
Hey Guys,
My question isn't aquarium related but I figured the experts on here may have some insight. What I'm experimenting with are two pieces of 1/2" thick cast acrylic glued together, flat side to flat side (laminated as opposed to glued edge to edge). Basically it's a 5" square piece laying atop another one and glued with weld on 40. I've wet sanded one of the edges up to 6000 grit and polished with Novus 2 . When viewed from the flat sides, it's impossible to tell that it's actually two pieces but when viewed from the one polished edge, a seam is still visible. Is there any way to completely remove this seam? I'm inclined to think there is since I've seen some art projects that are made of laminated acrylic sheet with no visible seams but I can't figure out how it's done nor can I find any info on the net.
Thanks much for any info.
Regards,
JCJC

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
I know that it is possible to do, I've seen pictures of a very long tank, I want to say it was 15' long or so. He butted two pieces together and polished out the seam. That said, I'm not sure how much of it is in the adhesion together and how much is in the sanding and polishing after that. From what I recall it is several sessions of sanding polishing and repeating.

That said, with it being such a thick piece, I'm not sure if you'd be able to remove the seam since you are looking through 5" worth of material.

jcjc

Feeder Fish
May 27, 2015
Thanks for the reply. I spoke with a couple people here at the local TAP plastics as well as a professional acrylic tank fabrication company and they all said it was not possible to remove/hide the seam. Essentially the weld on 40 (or any other material) refracts light differently and therefore it will always be visible. Apparently the art projects I was referring to are made from 4" thick cast acrylic sheet. Must be crazy expensive. I think also some of the pieces are custom cast and then machined down to whatever dimensions are needed.
Thanks again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store