acrylic thickness calculator

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Even for a full tank build, it doesn't seem accurate. You could figure for my 210 - 96 x 24 x 20. Mine is made of 1/2" acrylic and it said that I would need way thicker than that.

johnptc

Feeder Fish
Apr 6, 2005
los angeles
www.fishtankwebcam.com
Pharaoh;2971656; said:
Even for a full tank build, it doesn't seem accurate. You could figure for my 210 - 96 x 24 x 20. Mine is made of 1/2" acrylic and it said that I would need way thicker than that.
i think its very accurate........its based on engineering numbers not on your wallet :D or what a tank company builds with.

using these numbers the tank sides should be flat :)

johnptc

Feeder Fish
Apr 6, 2005
los angeles
www.fishtankwebcam.com
spiff;2971174; said:
This calculator seems to be specifially for full acrylic aquarium builds, where cemented edges is part of the variables...

Or, according to this thing, I needed a 4.5 in thick sheet to just serve as a plain freestanding window on my DIY build.

what size window ?? how much water above it ?? how large an overlap with the mounting surface ???

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
johnptc;2974032; said:
i think its very accurate........its based on engineering numbers not on your wallet :D or what a tank company builds with.

using these numbers the tank sides should be flat :)
I ran a few test numbers through the formula just to caluclate some consistency factors. A 210G tank comes out to 0.65". So, I do agree with the true calculator, but there is no account for the amount of bowing on either of the situations, my 1/2" acrylic 210, the assumed build of a 210G tank.

So John, just to clarify. What is to be stated here is that acrylic tank manufacturers possibly underbuld their tanks by basically removing all of the added safety factor of the arylic. I assume the number 750 comes within the Acrylite GP safety window. I would then assume that other acrylics might have a different maximum permissable stress, possibly correlating to the difference.

very informative information to be had. Anything like this for glass?

BTW, did you know your 5K tank is on the Pond Armour website. Kickin' :D

notanatheist

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2009
Orygun with them treehuggers
Flabbergast!! Sorry to thread dig like this but what's the highest anyone has gone with 1" cell cast and a braced top? I want to start a plywood/fiberglass tank and I can make 1" work in my price range but really want to go 48" high so figuring at least 40" to 44" on the acrylic by 96" L. If I "have" to go 30" I will but I will be greatly saddened.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store