African Arowana not eating

charles-n-charge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2010
Livingston Tx
I bought a 10" African arowana 4 days ago, and it's currently in a 220 gallon tank with a bunch of small (<2") African cichlids, and a few other easy-going fish. None of the cichlids bother him whatsoever, and seem to pay no attention to him.

I'm feeding Hikari Cichlids Gold, Massivore Delite, Frozen Bloodworms, and Frozen Mysis Shrimp.

He spends half his time laying under some driftwood, and the other half swimming around the tank. Visually, he seems very healthy, but I haven't gotten him to eat since I brought him home.

Does anyone have any ideas why, or have suggestions for what I can do?
I spent 3 years trying to find this fish, and I'd really hate to lose him now that I finally found one

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
First of all congratulations on finding your long sought after fish and I hope you enjoy it.I wouldnt worry about the afro not eating just yet as it is still settling in probably...some fish eat right away and some don't.I have had newly bought fish wait up to a week before starting to eat.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
+1 on the pics I always liked African Aros.

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
embedded for you............won't it eat those cichlids? or is that your intent?

[video=youtube;9k5R97qw-bU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k5R97qw-bU&feature=youtu.be[/video]

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
The afro might act aggressively toward some of the cichlids but I doubt that it could eat them.They have small mouths compared to other arowana species.

Ceiling_Matt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2013
sweden
throw in some grass seeds, its what they actually eat in the wild so, should go home easy breezy, also try boiled peas and other veggy alternatives

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store