Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Hello Guest, Welcome back to MonsterFishkeepers!! Don't forget to set your avatars !!!! --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/avatar

African dying for no apparent reason...

Discussion in 'African Rift Lake Cichlids' started by Cyclop3000, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Cyclop3000

Cyclop3000 MFK Members

Feb 1, 2011
      Ok guys I need help. I am keeping a spawn of 10 yellow labs for my wife, which I was able to breed about 6 months ago. Some of them were 2" last week, some others way smaller. Everything was good for them, until last week.

I grabbed two of them and gave them to my father in law for his first tank. A couple days after he settled them in his 30g, one died. The other is fine.

From there on, I have had 2-3 of them die on me each week. No signs of illness or parasites, no signs of agression. They looked perfectly healthy. I have a couple other cichlids in the tank and they are fine. Unfortunately I did not check water parameters before I did a 50% water change today. I now have 4 left, and they seem to always hide and not happy.

I did notice they were breathing quite fast, faster than usual. When they die, they do not float...they just lay on the gravel.

Can anybody please help me? Or at least give me ideas on the problem so I can at least know...The tank is a 20g, they are in there with a gourami, leulupi and a baby frontosa. As I said, no agression otherwise I would have split them.

Thanks all for your help :thumbsup:

2. guppy

guppy Small Squiggly Thing

right now none
      May 11, 2008
      The gasping makes me think ammonia or anoxea but if your filter is working and you are doing your water changes that shouldn't be it.

3. SinisterKisses

SinisterKisses MFK Members

Aug 10, 2009
      I'd check your water parameters for nitrites, nitrates, and ammonia. I'd bet one of those is the problem.

4. Cyclop3000

Cyclop3000 MFK Members

Feb 1, 2011
      Yeah i thought ammonia too with the breathing...but like I said I went and did the water change before testing. Guess i'll have to wait and see. I also realised I have quite a few plants in there that were not in too good shape...plants that go bad screws up the water parameters...so i decided to remove them...only left one for hiding spots.

Should help...thanks for your replies guys. Wife is not happy her fish are dying :(

5. shawnmartin77

shawnmartin77 New Member

Aug 4, 2013
      Along with water testing i've also been told most africans die from other africans

6. Cyclop3000

Cyclop3000 MFK Members

Feb 1, 2011
      Like I said, no signs of agression so this is out of the loop...a few more died since my last post...dang I can't get my finger on it.

7. danny boy

danny boy MFK Members

doorman/ builder
      Mar 4, 2006
      i had a very similar problem a few years ago when i began breeding platy for profit. after two generations and all my stock had bred it was clear that interbreeding had resulted in week fish that would die for no reason and they would never get any decent size on them to be worth selling. am i right in guessing all ten labs are related? if so its possible they could have come from other related stock and who knows how many times interbred. if you are serious about breeding them then bloodlines are the key

oh and you have overstocked that tank in my opinion. you need a 40 really.

8. ogre929

ogre929 MFK Members

May 12, 2006

on the inbreeding note, all yellow labs were spawned until very recently from just a few pairs of original fish. They have been inbred like cockerspaniels and french bulldogs. This certainly leads to weak fish. though usually introducing one or two mbuna into a mbuna tank usually leads to death. It's better to add them in groups. also yellow labs are no where near as aggressive as fish like zebras.

9. danny boy

danny boy MFK Members

doorman/ builder
      Mar 4, 2006
      yeah i had heard that story about the guy starting out with 2 labs and creating 20,000 within 6 years.

10. ogre929

ogre929 MFK Members

May 12, 2006
      i hadn't heard that, but i heard it wasn't very many pairs thats why wild ones are so damn expensive. though i could be wrong. but it would be the first time. it's like the story about richard gere, you hear something from so many different people it's gotta be true. but seriously, wild caught labido's are way more expensive than they should be.