Am I overstocked?

zyphr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 30, 2015
Hi. I'm fairly new to fishkeeping and currently only have one tank. It's a 28 gallon bowfront and has six inhabitants 1 pictus cat, 3 scissor tail rasbora, many nitrite snails, 1 hatchetfish a freshwater mussle and 2 zebra danios( the rest were eaten by the pictus) anyway Is their room for any other tankmates or is this it?

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
You should add more danios and hatchetfish before thinking of adding a different species to the mix.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
then remove the pictus lol... those guys should be kept in groups.

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
get the pictus out of there it will eat the smaller fish and like was said get more of the same kind. Scissor tails and danios are schooloing fish, get at least 5 or6 with schooling fish

ShadowP

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2015
Southeastern North Carolina
Hi. I'm fairly new to fishkeeping and currently only have one tank. It's a 28 gallon bowfront and has six inhabitants 1 pictus cat, 3 scissor tail rasbora, many nitrite snails, 1 hatchetfish a freshwater mussle and 2 zebra danios( the rest were eaten by the pictus) anyway Is their room for any other tankmates or is this it?
The snails you have are probably correctly called NARITE SNAILS.
To answer your question though, NO your tank is not overstocked but may still be cycling.
Better you should read more about the species you plan on keeping so as not to waste money on expensive feeder fish (the danios). Sorry
Most of the work in this hobby is in all the initial reading of the many methods which are utilized and the pro's & cons of each. It gets easier as you go but there will almost always be the mandatory maintenance schedule... cleaning, water testing and changes, etc. The more you crowd your fish, the more stressed they become and the harder it is to maintain good water quality which then stresses the fish even more, the more stress the poorer their health and the more you will spend on pharmaceuticals. Save some trouble and money... you're just getting in - Excellent and WELCOME!!! Go slowly, research, and do it right for their sakes, (and yours).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store