Aquarium through the floor?

dr_sudz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2006
Wiarton, Ontario
www.fishinabox.ca
I think people are to paranoid to put a tank in the wrong spot, thus it starts to land it self in the Old Wives Tales area of fish keeping. Never happened but no one is going to let it. I would think the worst thing that could happen with the idea being presented is that the floor sags even 1/4-3/4" and you have tank failure due to the tank being off tilt.

jdepasqu2

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
philadelphia
Very cool thread....

I think the myth busters idea is great..., and I could actually see them doing something like this...... I plan to add to that forum..... good work... BUD8FAN...

I started a thread about this as well.... And BUD8FAN posted many times. I am currently in the process of purchasing a 600 Gallon and will have it in a few weeks.... It will be going on a joist floor above a crawl space. I plan to reinforce the joists 2.., maybe 3 times their original thickness and add two new support beams below the joists...., I will keep everyone filled in....
Here is the thread if anybody is interested..... there is some good input on the topic..... Enjoy.....

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115394

Bootler

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2010
Cleveland
i live in like a 100 yr old home idk but its old. i live on the second floor. you guys are talking about reinforcing for a 600 and 300 etc. i just want a 75.lol. i think i could pull it off cause i spent all night looking up any stories about tanks falling through floors. im gunna put it pararell to joists in a corner of an inside wall, and an out side wall. i think i can do it. the walls are solid and very sturdy. i hope all goes well and well goes all hope i. thumbs up on mythbusters idea. they should try it with an older home structure style and a brand new structure style. we all know that it will go through. everything has a breaking point.

MilkyJoe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2010
Australia
did they have to helicopter that into his flat? o_O
Im sure a 500g would be fine on concrete, seeing as I've never seen a 21+ story block of flats made from wood.

Richies^Ghost

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 15, 2010
Sydney
What happens to the floor when such heavy weights are removed after time?

I've heard of floors of buildings where turn of the century phone exchanges and the like were placed - many years later (when these systems could be fit into a shoe box) these relics couldn't be removed as doing so would cause too much stress to the floor.

12 Volt Man

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 24, 2007
canada
A standard (50 gallon) water heater weighs about 500 lbs over an area of about 3 square feet = 166 lbs/square foot. My 300 weighs about 2800 lbs over an area of 16 square feet = 175 lbs/square foot. Not that different...
but it is very different. because the weight is not spread out over the entire bottom surface area of your tank.

it is only spread out over the part of your stand that actually contacts the floor.

so instead of the weight over a 36x18 area (for a standard 50g), for example, that 500 pounds might only be spread over a 1" perimeter of your stand, so it would be 108 square inches instead of 648 square inches (if it was full support bottom).

so it 4.6 pounds per square inch vs 0.7 pounds per square inch for example.

your 300g will exert a significantly greater pounds per square inch than your 50g will.

so we have to be careful when doing the math.

its easy to make errors in assumptions.

12 Volt Man

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 24, 2007
canada
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/aquarium_weight.php

this article is relevant to this discussion.

for the record, there was talk of aquariums falling through floors over in Britian.

when the old Aqualink forum site was up, people were talking about an article in Practical Fishkeeping (Britian's best selling fish mag. we can get it here in Canada at Chapters) that described such incidents.

but I can't verify as I never saw the article or anything. people on the net (back in 97/98) were talking about it.

so it might have happened before. but its pretty rare.

floor sagging and resulting tank failure/seam bursting is the main concern.

big tanks weigh as much as some cars. and they don't move around.

spiff

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2007
midwest
Its not falling through the floor that you have to worry about... its the slow warping of your floors. People wonder about why their tanks spontaneously leaks or cracks.... well there you go.

All this talk about leveling tanks and then people here minimize the threat of warping floors...brilliant.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store