Aquatic turtle out of water for...?

swede

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2009
ןɟ 'opuɐןɹo ɹɐǝu
you would be fine just to take a closer look if you wanted to..... referring to time out of the water that is

coura

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
europe
The main thing here is stress more then drying out. In general handling of turts should be as litle as possible and as fast as possible, most turts dont like to be handled at all and the fully aquatic species freak out when taken out of the water. Remenbar animal well being comes always first;) That being said, unless for a trip or vet, no more then a cople of minutes

coura

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
europe
evilxyardxgnome;3071783; said:
You do realize turtles can breath out of the water right? Taking them out of the water isn't going to hurt them.
But can stres them;)

Horiyoshi III

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2006
41.769N -71.129W
www.facebook.com
So coura, me thinking I should handle my Spinifera everyday to hopefully make it less bitey when it is an adult is pointless?

OP, sorry for derail, but it's better than spamming with a new thread.

krzr3000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2006
CT
How are fully aquatic turtles like FRT's shipped? On a moist towel?

I know sliders come into pet stores in small plastic containers, inside a larger cardboard box (no water). So thats at least 12 hours at the minimum....

Fly River

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2006
sAN dIEGO
krzr3000;3072810; said:
How are fully aquatic turtles like FRT's shipped? On a moist towel?

I know sliders come into pet stores in small plastic containers, inside a larger cardboard box (no water). So thats at least 12 hours at the minimum....
Its all the same. If they are small, a small plastic container with holes around it and wet paper towel inside. Big ones, snake bags with wet news papers. Its usually 24 hours to ship, I've had no problems with this method. I would say 24 hours would be the longest time with out water but that could push it depending on the weather.

coura

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
europe
Horiyoshi III;3072705; said:
So coura, me thinking I should handle my Spinifera everyday to hopefully make it less bitey when it is an adult is pointless?

OP, sorry for derail, but it's better than spamming with a new thread.
Hummm...no, it will actualy have the exact oposite efect, he will not like that one bit and will learn to avoid you not the oposite;) You have to let the turtle come to you and for doing that all you have to do its giving it time and food, he will realize you are the "men ho brings dinner home" and then the fun will beggin. Wont be dificult, softshells are one of the most inteligent turts and are naturaly inquisitive and love to check everything out, but on the security of their tanks, no in what they view as a alien evoirement(outside tank). Handling it its pretty much pointless, wont tame down by that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store