Automatic Water Changer (not drip)

Cu554

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2015
Vermont
An Oddball inspired writing.

Bonus Question:
This isn't related to the actual setup but it is still interesting and a fun little trivia question to test your wits. It seems that a drip system is the popular automatic water changing system. Lets see if a drip system, smaller more frequent changes or larger less frequent water changes, such as this method is more efficient at removing pollutants .

If we perform one 30% water change on an aquarium, 30% of the pollutants will be removed leaving 70% of the pollutants in the aquarium.

If we perform 30 consecutive 1% water changes how much of the pollutants will be left? Is it more beneficial to do one large change a day or a bunch of smaller changes like a drip system?

Automatic Water Changer

Overview: I want to start out saying this is a lot less complicated then it seems. When you read about auto top off systems it can be very overwhelming. Once you set it up you will realize how simple of a device it is.

An Auto top off (ATO) is a sensor or manual device that detects water. Then the water level is at your desired level to ATO new water is not pumped into your tank. Once the water level drops the ATO will pump water in your tank. The device is very small. ATOs are popular in saltwater aquarium keeping. They are used to replenish water that evaporated from the tank. Since salt doesn't evaporate the evaporated water has to be replaced to keep the salt concentration constant.

When the pump on the timer turns on water is pumped from your tank to where ever you want the waster water to go. You can either put it out a window, down a drain or in a storage container. Since water is being pumped out of your tank the water level will drop. This will trigger the ATO to pump new water in.

The drip system is a great system but has some drawbacks which is fixed with this. 1) If you are dripping from from a container, the container will have to be above the tank. This system allows you to have the water storage right next to tank. 2) Lots of fish such as sharks and stingrays glide across the glass. If your tank isn't drilled and you are using a external overflow the fish can knock it out of place and it can be trouble. 3) No need to have a drilled tank or waste space in the tank. Everything can be placed under the cabinet. If you don't have a slump the only things you need to put in your tank is 2 airline tube. One to drain the water and one to fill the water.

Jbj is one of the most popular brands used.

AutoTopOff.com is another company which a lot of people use.

I am using an Innovative Marine hydrofill. It is a great system but very expensive.

You can also use a manual float valve. This is the cheapest route but will pass on it.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/ite...FUc2gQodwYYAPw

Supplies

2 pumps-One for the auto top off (sometimes comes with ATO) and one to remove the water from the tank. I recommend Toms aqualifter. They are small, external , they cost about $12 and is rated at 3.5 gallons per hour. The low flow rate prevents the new water from changing the tank parameters to quick. A maxi jet or another small pump will also work.

1 electric timer

1 auto top off- Some auto top off systems come with a pump. Read overview.

Here is the equipment I am using. The timer, the black box above the timer is my ATO, the box to the right is my ATO pump, below that is the pump I am pump the water out with. The pump is a cheap pump I got from some bamboo waterfall I had. At the right of the table there is an airline tube and valve. This can be used to slow down the flow of the pump if you want to do that. I discussed this below. Once again this seems more complected then it really is.

Setup

-You place one pump in your tank or sump. Since Toms aqualifter is an external pump it takes up little room and this is why I recommend it.

-Place the second pump in your new water.

- Hook up your auto top off.

- Set the timer on your pump in the aquarium for the amount of water you want to remove. This is something that you will need to play with until you get the amount you want. Toms aqua lifter is rated at 3.5 gallons per hour. If you want to change 7 gallons a day set the timer to run the pump for 2 hours.

When this water is pumped out the ato will top off the water which was removed.

Depending on the size of your aquarium you might want to add a restricting valve. I posted a video below of what I mean.

[video=youtube;WL0P2MWvlDk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL0P2MWvlDk[/video]

I took pictures of a mini setup but it makes it seem more complicated then it really is. So I did a paint drawing of the setup. In my setup reconstruction the container on the black table is the sump and the container on the dresser is the new water.

Cu554

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2015
Vermont
Quick video about setting up a Jbj auto top off.

[video=youtube;g1eaVGd1PtY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1eaVGd1PtY[/video]

ultimatejay

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
USA
Good idea, but the drip system is constantly adding and removing water without anyone having to do anything.
This unit will only add water when the water level gets down below a specific level from evaporation, which would take a long time, or a person would have to manually remove water which means work. One of the big benefits of drip system is you don't have to work. This system would be ideal for saltwater systems to top off water from evaporation.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Cu554

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2015
Vermont
Good idea, but the drip system is constantly adding and removing water without anyone having to do anything.
This unit will only add water when the water level gets down below a specific level from evaporation, which would take a long time, or a person would have to manually remove water which means work. One of the big benefits of drip system is you don't have to work. This system would be ideal for saltwater systems to top off water from evaporation.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
The pump on the timer removes the water. This will simulate the evaporation, whatever volume the pump is removimg will be the rate the tank fills at. If you set the pump up at a drip per second your water will change at about a drip per second. If you use a pumps rated for 500gph your water changes will be at 500gph.

If you hook the ATO up to the sink or a waterpipe and have the waste water go in to the drain or outside you should never need to mess with it.

lardieleftover

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2014
san diego
Couldn't you just have a pump with float valve, that turns on 3" below desired water level, and off just over desired. The float would just be in main tank, connected to maybe a storage container

Reactions: badassissimo
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store