Beginners Guide to Filter Media

Kitiara

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
The catfish are on the messy side, the others aren't too bad. They are all large fish so would need a fair amount of filtration for the size alone

Kitiara

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
I found out what the green pellets are - it's ammonia remover, I believe it's called maifan stone. Can this be reused or does it need replacing regularly?

señor_pescados_felices

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 26, 2006
The Real Norcal
you don't even need it,I would take it out and replace it with a better ammonia remover like eheim pro or cellpore....or basicly other biomedia which,hey guess what,removes ammonia.

could you list the stocklist?I'm just curious,but I still hold to the fact that no matter the stocklist setting up your cannister in one of the ways mentioned before would be your best bet and quite simple.:D

If you still want to make things more complicated than they need to be then by all means handle your business ;)

Kitiara

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
I purchased through Ebay, seller called Aquacor from memory, sells a lot of fishtank stuff. This is my first cannister filter as I had to upgrade from the internal which couldn't handle the larger fish when they grew. (water quality went downhill (ammonia I believe) and I lost a 12" silver shark which was a wake up call)

My main interest is having a low maintenance, cost effective filter system that works

señor_pescados_felices

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 26, 2006
The Real Norcal
okay I see your stocklist and tank size.what cannister filter are you using?Let me know and I will tell you how I would set it up personally.

There are still not vary many reasons to use an ammonia removing product in your tank like zeolite... if you have enough biomedia there should be no ammonia.If there are ammonia readings than you need more biomedia.If you don't have space for more biomedia than you probably need a larger filter or an additional one.

let me know what cannister your using and we will get your filtration straightened out yet...

Kitiara

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
it's a Jebao 818.

I do have more room in the trays for a handful more quartz noodles and about 2 filter pads with the current set up without jamming things in. But if this is not ideal I am more than open to suggestion (why I am here) I don't have an ammonia test kit (yet) so I am unsure of the normal levels. I'm having a nitrate crisis atm and am doing water changes like crazy.

sicxspeed

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Ryht Bye De Beech
this thread great. im glad i finally looked into this after Big Train and another member were talking to me about Pot Scrubbies for bio filtration......Im on it.

moneyman6891

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2008
Florida
where can i get pot scrubbies? ive never seen them and neither as my mom

señor_pescados_felices

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 26, 2006
The Real Norcal
I get mine at a store called Big Lots....I'm not sure if thats a nationwide store but they are 6 for $1 there.

Otherwise I hear they always have them at dollar stores but mine never does.....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store