Best type of feeders (non gold fish) for a gar

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
bait minnow/shiners. Down here shiners are natural prey for wild gars. I advise gut-loading shiners just prior to feeding them out to boost their nutritional value for predators.

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
+1
shiner minnow are their nature food, and they can be found at almost any live bait shop.
I found out that keeping smaller shiner minnow alive is a lot easier than the larger minnows that I bought. Most of the lager minnow(some shops listed at bass minnow for the lager size and the smaller size is crappie minnow) that I bought die within a few day while the smaller minnow live and even breed in my tank.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I've found that the minnows need clean,well oxygenated water if you expect to keep them alive for a decent length of time.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I've used those for other fish I've had but oddly enough my current group doesn't seem to want to eat them.

jpcampbell123

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2011
In the water
i offer mine live shiners also one of the mine will eat pellets on a regular basis the other bulk of their diet consist of market shrimp and tilapia slivers
i have one that has not switched over to prepare foods but i am sure it will when it gets bigger
also all of my biggest ones seem to prefer the market shrimps over the tilapia slivers
has anyone else experienced this?

Jayfish7

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
New York
I'll def look into shiner for my gar... From your own exp. how/what is the best way to get your get to start eating tilapia ?

zie2695

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2013
N/A
I fed mine minnows until I got them on pellets. Note they only get live as a treat a few times a month.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store