Best way to worm a fish tank?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Before you decide to break out the meds, have you tried cleaning out your filters as well? coz maybe your filters just need a good cleaning to cut back on the food source these worms are eating?

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
Before you decide to break out the meds, have you tried cleaning out your filters as well? coz maybe your filters just need a good cleaning to cut back on the food source these worms are eating?
Yes, I dismantled all my filters today, washed everything in primed water, did an 80% water change and hovered all detritus out the tank, there was only a few worms floating about.

I have a small feed, and a few hours later the tank had loads of the worms in the water column again.

My tank is bare bottom, and my filters are 20 micron.

The fish have worms for sure....

Unless I'm reading the situation wrong?

Sent from my SM-G900F using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Kivstev

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2009
Massachusetts, USA
I'm not even sure in prazi will get rid of those types of worms. Odd that you have a bare bottom tank and do thorough cleaning and worms appear in large numbers after. Maybe the worms are in your food? Odd.

Take a look here: http://www.fish-as-pets.com/2007/11/planaria-detritus-internet-answers.html?m=1 Also, I'd be wary of putting any 'flavoring' in your water. I'd get a product meant for fish or a pure form of the drug which is what I've always used. Maybe the 'flavoring' would be fine, but I'd be sure before I dosed it. Planaria crawl around like slugs, so I doubt you have that.

Hi,

Thanks for the message, I've tried to get a picture but they are so small and white I can't really get them, they are in the water column not on the bottom or sides.

They are all about 1cm long, white, and floating around.

I am guessing that prazi is the only safe way to go.

I can get prazi paste that is used for horses, it's only active ingredient is prazi, the rest is flavoring.

What dose of prazi should I use on a 300l tank? How many mg/l should I use?

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
I'm not even sure in prazi will get rid of those types of worms. Odd that you have a bare bottom tank and do thorough cleaning and worms appear in large numbers after. Maybe the worms are in your food? Odd.

Take a look here: http://www.fish-as-pets.com/2007/11/planaria-detritus-internet-answers.html?m=1 Also, I'd be wary of putting any 'flavoring' in your water. I'd get a product meant for fish or a pure form of the drug which is what I've always used. Maybe the 'flavoring' would be fine, but I'd be sure before I dosed it. Planaria crawl around like slugs, so I doubt you have that.
I read that link, I don't have Planaria, it looks a lot more like the detritus worms.

I spoke to a vet and they have pure, liquid prazi, they have agreed to give me some.

Will prazi get rid of these detritus worms?

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
Ok, I hit the tank with prazi, I used 3200mg for my 300l tank, as per the instructions.

After 6 hours I cannot see any worms floating in the water column!I can only assume it worked!

I want to make sure my fish are flushed out also, am I best to use epsom salts added to the tank water at 2 tablespoons per 20l, or soaking the food?

If soaking the food, how much epsom salts should I use?

If adding directly to the tank, just give me the go ahead.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Kivstev

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2009
Massachusetts, USA
If they are/were detritus worms they do no harm to fish and just break down waste in the tank. AFAIK detritus worms do not infect fish in any way. As I said, I don't know if Prazi would even kill detritus worms, but apparently they did? If your fish are acting normally I wouldn't do anything else but follow the Prazi instructions. I also am not sure what you have (had)???

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
If they are/were detritus worms they do no harm to fish and just break down waste in the tank. AFAIK detritus worms do not infect fish in any way. As I said, I don't know if Prazi would even kill detritus worms, but apparently they did? If your fish are acting normally I wouldn't do anything else but follow the Prazi instructions. I also am not sure what you have (had)???
Some of my fish do look a bit fat and I haven't feed for 2 days...

I followed the prazi instructions, did a 25% water change today.

Epsom salt soaked food should help them poop right?or should I put epsom salts in the tank

Kivstev

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2009
Massachusetts, USA
Some of my fish do look a bit fat and I haven't feed for 2 days...

I followed the prazi instructions, did a 25% water change today.

Epsom salt soaked food should help them poop right?or should I put epsom salts in the tank

If you think Epsom would be beneficial, the sticky thread on treating Hex by RD describes how to feed it to your fish via pellets.

Instead of treating the main tank with Epsom in the water, you can give your fish a Epsom bath in a bucket. 1 tablespoon magnesium sulfate per gallon of tank water. Leave them in there 20 minutes or so and watch carefully for any signs of stress. Return to main tank after 20 minutes or signs of stress. Feeding your fish deshelled peas will also help pass anything along if they are pea eaters.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store