Black Melanistic Gar

JasonsPlecosCichlids

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Kentucky
jasonsplecoscichlids.com
Went fishing today to my normal Gar creek, GF and I caught several, then I seen a pretty big one for the creek so I caught it, then as I was walking back to the rock so my GF can take a photo, I glance over and see this jet black gar with a few of his lady friends. I couldn't believe it so I quickly put the gar back in the water, new piece of bluegill and waded out to the middle of the creek. Then he came back and I casted right at him, it sank, he came over and nudged it around on the bottom and then picked it up and ran with it. I then opened the bail to let him run so we can take the bait down. After a few minutes he came back to me and I didn't see the bait so I set the hook. As we got him in the net the hook fell out but the line was wrapped around his snout. I didn't have anything but a bucket with me and I wanted him for my native tank so I had my GF stay at the creek with the gar in the net and I took all out gear and ran the field, a good 3/4 of a mile back to the truck, just dumped the tote and ran back to the creek. Once I got there we loaded the fish up and walked through the field as fast as possible. When we got to the truck I took my time to remove the line from around his snout so he didn't drown in the tote on the way home. Then I filled the tote up with two more buckets of water and then went home. He is in the tote now acclimating but here is a video of me catching it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store