black sandblasting sand OK?

Fishermoe14

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2008
Minnesota
3m color quartz FTW!!

i buy it for 22 bucks for a 50 lb bag at a local supply place.. check on 3m's website for a dealer near you :D lol

its great stuff.. heavy, round, and looks amazing..

i dont work for them.. its just good stuff

wingate2581

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2007
horseheads, ny
I originally took the (white) sand out of my tank for the large pleco that was in there kicking sand up into my HOBs. I was'nt fond of getting rid of the sand until I put the black gravel in. Now I want to take the sand out of my other tank! If you do go with black gravel I suggest the brand Este's(sp?). It holds the color better than other brands I have tried.

kentwo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2009
Hawaii
Fishermoe14;2742159; said:
3m color quartz FTW!!

i buy it for 22 bucks for a 50 lb bag at a local supply place.. check on 3m's website for a dealer near you :D lol

its great stuff.. heavy, round, and looks amazing..

i dont work for them.. its just good stuff
That's interesting.

I am also looking for black sand.

Hows the color hold? Got pictures? I did a search and only find graphs and charts regarding its hardness.

kentwo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2009
Hawaii
Looks pretty good.

I'll try and find a dealer near here. Hawaii can be a little limited on places to find the stuff.

FSM

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2008
Georgia
bitteraspects;2508298; said:
a lot of sandblasting places use silica sand. i got my sand from a sandblasting supply warehouse.
i would be worried about what they used to dye the sand though. best bet is to ask them what they used and if its safe. they may know
Why do you think it is dyed?

kentwo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2009
Hawaii
Found a guy who sells it here. Around 26 bucks for 50lbs. Sounds like I got myself some sand...

Any tips I need to know about using it?

Also, I'm guessing because its quartz it won't balance pH, would it be a good idea to mix in a small bag (5lbs) of aragonite sand? Would it make a difference?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store