Bluegill Tank Set Up

oscarcrazy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2008
Houston, TX/Juneau, AK
pretty much any sunfish other than the bluegill or redear can live ok in a 55 for life(though a single fish might be ok). I have a warmouth and a longear in a 55. Great aquarium fish. Care is the same as cichlids as in a bunch of hiding spots and powerful filtration, just don't need a heater. Most sunnies quickly adjust to a diet of pellets and other store bought goodies. Spoil them with crickets and worms every once in a while and you'll have some fat little slabs in your tank.

Muske

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Mundelein IL
What kind of filtration can w/the tank?

Any Rock Bass in your area?

JIM

Banned
Nov 5, 2008
Indiana
There are actually quite a few really nice natives that you could keep in a tank that size without worry of them getting too big. Orange spots, obesus,blue spotted, dollars, punkinseeds. all bluegill shaped kinda but stay smaller. Then there is the rock bass, and shadow bass (very attractive), and warmouth. If you want native fish go after them they are out there. small gravel or sand substrate, rocks caves, drift wood, plants. Nature in a glas box for you to enjoy. and i havent even mentioned the Darters

MultispeciesTamer

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2008
Michigan
put 2 bluegill and a bullhead catfish that should be good

Noto

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2008
The South
I agree that bluegill are not the best choice for a 55. Bluegill, greens, and redbreasts all easily reach 12", which is a bit too big for such a narrow tank.

If you can get some longear sunfish, that would be perfect- they are gorgeous, relatively peaceful sunfish, and the subspecies in your area stays quite small, 5" or so. You could easily keep 4-5 in a 55. Just be sure to provide plenty of structure; when scaping the tank imagine that you are dividing it into rooms, one for each fish. This will limit aggression. It also helps to keep all fish of one gender.

Appropriate tankmates include moderate-to-large minnows, madtoms, studfish, and large darters such as blacksides and logperch. Moderate flow and mixed gravel/cobble substrate are a plus. Room temp is fine; water parameters are not critical so long as it's clean and fairly stable.

Let us know what you decide!

JIM

Banned
Nov 5, 2008
Indiana
Sean6870;2356098; said:
Thanks for the helpful suggestions. I appreciate it.

-Sean
There are lots of possible choices, in the bluegill shaped natives that stay small, such as Blue spotted sunfish, Dollar sunfish, Obesus, and the list goes on Visit a few verdor sites, Such as Zimmermans fish, Sachs Aquaculture, Jonahs fish, ksi aquatics. BT Darters, all these sites sell Native fish and all would be more than happy to help you pick fish that would be happy in your 55 without outgrowing it. Sunfish by nature are agressive, but not so much more so than, a lot of Chiclids. If you really want to keep natives do a little research on them. Youll get hooked I did after keeping everthing else out there for over 30 years. :headbang2

le patron

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2008
USA
andyjs;2356807; said:
You are aware that bluegill and green sunfish are two different fish correct? It seems like a when a lot of people talk about NA native fish they think of bluegill or bass, but there are actually many distinct species of bass and non-bluegill sunfish. Personally, I think a large male bluegill in breeding color is a very attractive fish, but there are many smaller more attractive sunfish out there like greens, pumpkinseeds, longears, orange spots, etc
thats what im trying to say

le patron

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2008
USA
Noto;2507802; said:
I agree that bluegill are not the best choice for a 55. Bluegill, greens, and redbreasts all easily reach 12", which is a bit too big for such a narrow tank.

If you can get some longear sunfish, that would be perfect- they are gorgeous, relatively peaceful sunfish, and the subspecies in your area stays quite small, 5" or so. You could easily keep 4-5 in a 55. Just be sure to provide plenty of structure; when scaping the tank imagine that you are dividing it into rooms, one for each fish. This will limit aggression. It also helps to keep all fish of one gender.

Appropriate tankmates include moderate-to-large minnows, madtoms, studfish, and large darters such as blacksides and logperch. Moderate flow and mixed gravel/cobble substrate are a plus. Room temp is fine; water parameters are not critical so long as it's clean and fairly stable.

Let us know what you decide!
actually greens are one of the smaller sunfish maxing out around 6-7"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store