Bluespot Stingray for Marine Reef

Pyroay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2015
Victoria Australia
What do people suggest as cleanup crew in a tank with rays?
I was supprised to read the other day that some crabs / snails are ok to have with rays. I thought rays would eat any crustation in the tank.

I've always had cleanup crews which have been very helpful and assumed i would not be able to keep any with the ray.

What experience have people had with inverts crabs, snails etc... that i might be able to have with a small ray. Round, Yellow or Bluespot?
I assume larger ones ?

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Not quite sure what you mean by that?

What LFS tank?

My experience is with Marine tanks with a large number of adult established fish, just not stingrays.

I take on board the points people have made and am aware Angles puffers and other species are known to nip at and cause problems for rays.
Lfs=local fish store
The lfs tanks are holding tanks that are temporary until the said fish is sold.
The territory of a tang in an lfs sale tank is non existent. The territory in an aquarium is rather large.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Pyroay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2015
Victoria Australia
Thanks, I knew what lfs is I just did not understand the context of that post.
I think the point being made was Tangs in lfs are quite different than in a larger ones established in a larger home aquarium.
I am well aware of that

I stated in my original post, I am an experienced reefer and I've kept lots of different tangs in many different aquariums however its the rays that i am new to.

In Australia the Blue Dot is the most common Stingray available @ lfs by far being quite widely available.
I take on board others comments that round or yellow rays would make a better choice so I shall look at going that way assuming they can be easily sourced here.

Assuming I move ahead with yellow or round rays, do they do better in pairs introduced at the same time?

L8braker

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2011
AVL, NC
Rays like to knock over coral. I never suggest mixing them in a home style aquarium.
As for tank mates, avoid any fish that naturally grazes. They like to eat ray eyes and tails. Typically, they will be nothing but trouble at some point.
There are experienced answer replies.... sorry if you did not get the answer you wanted to hear.

Pyroay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2015
Victoria Australia
Yes that question has been answered.

The unanswered question remains, What cleanup crew (inverts) are ok to use with Rays specifically the smaller rays such as round, yellow or bluespot).

I understand will consume many of them but asking if there are any that are compatible.

For example any or the larger snails? Starfish? other?

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Consider the natural diet of the rays... most eat invert like small crabs, shrimp and sea stars. Some are even urchin eaters. "Clean up crew" is more of a reef thing. Once you get into sharks and rays, it becomes your job to keep the tank clean.

Pyroay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2015
Victoria Australia
Good advice. Thanks. Tank will be kept clean in many other ways i just wanted to know if this was also an avenue open, but happy the question has been addressed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store