California drought

GreenTerror7

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2011
So cal/ LAX
I think im going to try to harvest rain water but i have gutters All around my roof with those drain pipes at the corner dumping thr water onto to the ground. We are replacing our grass with artificial turf so I don't think an underground tank would work. How can I collect the rain water with these gutters using above ground tanks?

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
For those of you living in California how are you doing your part in cutting back on water usage? I've been doing smaller water changes but it still ends up being about 60-70 gallons every week or two.
Personally, I've cut usage 60% since 2012-2013, which is as far as I'm going.

But....since agriculture provides only 2% of California's GDP and employs only 10% of it's workers, but uses 80% of the water, I'm also doing my part by reminding voters and legislators who is using it all up in the drought.

Almonds for example consume as much water as 39 million Californians. In short, 10% of the state's water use is for almond farming. Residents---including people who have pools and gigantic plush lawns---plus non farm industry and commercial businesses consume all of 20%.

Obviously, almonds are pretty darn important.

calichai

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
socal, oc
For me, I removed my lawn and tropical landscaping in favor of succulents. I do heavy water changes in my tanks the old fashion bucket way. Good work out, and the only water needed to keep my plants happy.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
For me, I removed my lawn and tropical landscaping in favor of succulents. I do heavy water changes in my tanks the old fashion bucket way. Good work out, and the only water needed to keep my plants happy.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Lol, me too! Try it with juvenile Discus,
you go from a good workout, to borderline body building! :D

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
I don't live in CA but I would like to re-use water from my tanks for my outdoor plants. However, all my tanks are the basement, so I am curious if there is any good way to get the water outside for use since the windows down there do not open. Ideas?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
X2, some type of pump and hose strong enough to push the water to the needed elevated level should work...

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
This guy works great. I think it was about 90 at Harbor freight.

uploadfromtaptalk1429583387819.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store